After battling the windy weather, the UTEP women’s tennis team came out with a 4-1 victory in its second match of the season against I-10 rival NM State on Friday. With the win, UTEP ended the Aggie’s eight-match winning streak.
The last time UTEP and NM State met twice during a season came in 2004.
UTEP defeated NM State, 4-3, in the first match-up (3/05) at the NMSU Tennis Center. Friday’s win marked the first time the Miners beat the Aggies twice in a season since 1999.
“This was a great win for the team,” head coach Roberto Aspillaga said. “Everyone overcame a great deal of adversity today with winds over 20 miles per hour. It was crucial to problem-solve at a high level in order to win this match. On top of the weather conditions, NM State is a well-coached team coming from an eight-match winning streak.”
Although the Aggies picked up the first win at doubles, UTEP responded with wins at courts three and one.
At court three, Daphne Visscher and Raven Bennett topped NM State’s duo of Lindsay Harlas and Eli Arnaudova, 6-3, while Vivienne Kulicke and Duda Santos defeated Erika Lopez Castillo and Gabrielle Joyce, 7-5, at the top spot of doubles.
In singles action, NM State picked up the first point after Santos suffered an injury and had to retire her match at No. 3 singles. The Orange and Blue quickly fought back holding off the Aggies from scoring any more points in the match.
On court No. 5, Tench picked up a 6-3, 6-0 victory versus Eli Arnaudova. Visscher followed in suit with a win at No. 4 singles against Mia Brandt, 6-0, 6-2, while Kulicke sealed the match at the No. 1 spot with a 7-6 (7-5), 6-2 win over Ashvarya Shrivastava.
“We knew this was going to be a tougher match than the one we had against them in March, so I am proud of the girls for stepping up and getting the job done,” Aspillaga said.
The Miners will close out the regular season in a Saturday morning match versus No. 53 New Mexico at the El Paso Tennis Club, where the team will honor senior Matilda Tench.
- Vivienne Kulicke (UTEP) def. Ashvarya Shrivastava (NMSU) 7-6 (7-4), 6-2
- Lois Wagenvoort (UTEP) vs. Rimpledeep Kaur (NMSU) 7-5, 3-6, unfinished
- Erika Lopez Castillo (NMSU) def. Duda Santos (UTEP) 4-1, retired
- Daphne Visscher (UTEP) def. Mia Brandt (NMSU) 6-0, 6-2
- Matilda Tench (UTEP) def. Eli Arnaudova (NMSU) 6-3, 6-0
- Maria Paula Medina (UTEP) vs. Lindsay Harlas (NMSU) 2-6, 5-4, unfinished
- Vivienne Kulicke/Duda Santos (UTEP) def. Erika Lopez Castillo/Gabrielle Joyce (NMSU) 7-5
- Ashvarya Shrivastava/Rimpledeep Kaur (NMSU) def. Lois Wagenvoort/Matilda Tench (UTEP) 6-0
- Daphne Visscher/Raven Bennett (UTEP) def. Lindsay Harlas/Eli Arnaudova (NMSU) 6-3