Contractors for the Camino Real Regional Mobility Authority (CRRMA) will weld the first rail for the El Paso Streetcar Project on Oregon Street near the University of Texas at El Paso on Wednesday.
Meanwhile, other crews continue making progress at several other locations along the 4.8 mile route.
To safely accommodate track-related work within this work zone, Oregon Street has been reduced to a single northbound lane between Glory Road and University Avenue thru mid-August. Occasional complete closures will be necessary, including a complete closure of Oregon Street between Glory Road and Cincinnati Avenue which began on Tuesday, June 21, 2016, and will last for approximately one week.
To complete this project on schedule, multiple crews are working on several tasks in several areas along the 4.8 mile route simultaneously. Link to most updated comprehensive map HERE.
Beginning on Wednesday, June 22, 2016, lane closures will be in place along Franklin Avenue between Santa Fe Street and Oregon Street and between Mesa Street and Stanton Street as crews work on underground utilities.
On Monday, June 27, 2016, Franklin Avenue will close to all traffic east of Stanton Street as crews resume utility relocation work there. Additionally, Oregon Street will be reduced to a single northbound lane between University Avenue and Schuster Avenue as crews begin preparing that section of street for rail. The closure in this work zone is expected to last through September.
This closure is expected to remain in place for approximately one week. Motorists who use northbound Franklin Street to access I-10 eastbound from Downtown El Paso should consider alternate routes such as Wyoming Avenue or Campbell Street to Franklin Avenue. When this section of work is complete, Stanton Street will close to all traffic between Franklin Avenue and Missouri Avenue.
Crews from Paso del Norte Trackworks continue utility relocation and storm drain upgrades in other locations along the 4.8 mile route. Motorists, pedestrians and cyclists are asked to be aware of work at the following locations during the week of June 27:
- Father Rahm Avenue between Santa Fe Street and Kansas Street
- Kansas Street between Paisano Drive and Father Rahm Avenue
- Stanton Street between Robinson Avenue and Kerbey Avenue
- Boston Avenue between Mesa Street and Kansas Street
- Crosby Avenue between Mesa Street and Stanton Street
- Main Drive closed at Santa Fe Street
- Rim Road west of Oregon Street
- Santa Fe Street between Franklin Avenue and Main Drive
- Santa Fe Street between Paisano Drive and Loop 375
- Stanton Street between Cliff Drive and Schuster Avenue
- Franklin Avenue between Mesa Street and Stanton Street
- Campbell Street at First Avenue
- University Avenue at Oregon
OTHER UPCOMING CLOSURES AND LANE RESTRICTIONS
- As utility relocation work continues along Stanton Street, the intersection of Stanton Street and Baltimore Drive will close to all traffic in the coming weeks. An exact date for this closure has not been announced.