Photo by Andres Acosta | El Paso Herald Post
The Sun Bowl Association is now accepting applications for the 2021-22 Sun Court.
“It is with great pleasure that we are announcing the return of the Sun Bowl Sun Court for the 2021-22 year after a one-year hiatus due to the COVID-19 pandemic. The Sun Court has been an integral part of the Sun Bowl Association for over 85 years and they serve the purpose of being ambassadors for the Sun Bowl Association and the City of El Paso,” Executive Director Bernie Olivas said. “We look forward to selecting the best possible candidates to fill the Sun Court and continuing this storied tradition.”
Applications are available online and the deadline to apply is Saturday, June 12, 2021 by 3 p.m. (MT). All interviews will be held on Saturday, July 10 beginning at 9 a.m. at the SBA Offices located at 4150 Pinnacle Street, Suite 100.
The El Paso area will be represented by the city’s young women to serve as community ambassadors during all Sun Bowl events including the Sun Bowl Parade on Thanksgiving morning and the Tony the Tiger football game on December 31, 2021.
The Sun Court dates back to 1935 when organizers planned the event as a companion to the first Sun Bowl game. This is a great time for young women to promote their city and to volunteer as community ambassadors.
Contestants are selected based on poise, appearance, personality, communication and interpersonal skills, and the ability to demonstrate knowledge of El Paso and all Sun Bowl Association events. Participants must be full-time students at a college or university and in good academic standing.
For questions, please contact the Sun Bowl Association Office at (915) 533-4416 or email firstname.lastname@example.org
Eligibility and Rules:
All Sun Princess Applicants must fit criteria in order to be eligible.
- A female between the ages of 18-22 (as of Sept. 1) and have completed one year of college
- Have not been married and have not had any children
- Must be enrolled as a full-time student taking a minimum of 12 academic hours or full time in a graduate program
- A cumulative grade point average of at least a 2.5 on a 4.0 scale (Transcript must be included with application)
- Sun Princesses may not hold any other title during the time they are members of the Sun Court (i.e. Miss El Paso, Miss Texas, etc…)
- Responsible for their own transportation costs to attend mandatory events
***Application/Submission Process: Official application, an official transcript, a professional resume, a color head shot no larger than 5×7, and an essay (500 words or less) telling us about yourself; include school activities and awards, community involvement, employment and why you want to be a Sun Princess.