Photo courtesy Canutillo ISD
Tuesday morning, officials with Canutillo ISD announced that the district would be expanding its pre-kindergarten program for this school year.
The District is now offering a new, full-day pre-k program free of charge at all of its elementary campuses for qualified El Paso-area families for the 2019-2020 school year.
Increased funding for full-day pre-kindergarten for families who meet certain criteria was made possible by the passage of House Bill 3 during the 86th session of the Texas Legislature and signed into law in June.
Canutillo ISD Superintendent Dr. Pedro Galaviz and district leaders are excited about this new change.
“It’s a great opportunity to get kids off on the right foot,” Galaviz said. “Canutillo understands the importance of a strong foundation for students.”
Parents can now begin registering for full-day pre-k online. There are some requirements to be eligible for the program.
Children must be four years old by September 1 and meet one of the following requirements:
- Does not speak or understand English;
- Eligible for the free or reduced-price lunch program;
- Has a parent that is active duty military or active duty reserve;
- Is or ever has been in the conservatorship of the Department of Family and Protective Services following an adversary hearing;
- Has a parent that was an active duty member of the armed forces, state military forces or reserve component who was injured or killed while serving on active duty.
More information on the pre-kindergarten program, including the documents needed for enrollment can be found on the Canutillo ISD website.