Officials with the Deby Lewis Foundation, a fund of the Paso del Norte Community Foundation, announced the 2021 recipients of the Deby Lewis Foundation Scholarship.
“The awarding of these scholarships represents the work of the Deby Lewis Foundation and the students being awarded are now forever a part of Deby’s legacy,” said Juni Mathews, former Eastwood High School Principal and friend of Deby Lewis.
“Her spirit lives on. We are proud to be a part of helping further the education of those students graduating from the Home of El Paso’s Finest.”
Despite the many challenges of online-learning due to the pandemic, ten graduating seniors from Eastwood High School will begin college this fall with support from the Deby Lewis Foundation.
The students were presented their awards in May during Eastwood High School’s Senior Awards Assembly.
Scholarship recipients will begin their collegiate careers studying in the areas of law, chemistry, nursing, environmental science, among others.
2021 scholarship recipients include:
- Deziree Dominguez – University of New Mexico
- Sara Fernandez – The University of Texas at El Paso
- Ava Fraga – The University of Texas at El Paso
- Natalie Heredia – The University of Texas at El Paso
- Matthew Hernandez – The University of Texas San Antonio
- Isaiah Herrera – Baylor University, School of Music
- Mia McNulty – Texas State University
- Jenna Villarreal – Arizona State University
- Victor Para – The University of Louisiana at Monroe
- Manette Fuentes – undecided
The Deby Lewis Foundation is a volunteer-led nonprofit organization established in 2016 to honor and memorialize the extraordinary legacy of Deby Lewis, who dedicated her life to the education of students at Eastwood High School and Ysleta Independent School District.