Due to the COVID-19 pandemic, the City is hosting a virtual Dia de los Ninos, Dia de los Libros starting at 11 a.m. on Thursday, April 30, on Facebook.
Several City Departments will present fun online activities and programs to enjoy from home. The Public Library, Parks and Recreation, Museums and Cultural Affairs, Animals Services, and the El Paso Zoo will present a variety of virtual activities such as story time for kids, musical performances, cooking demonstrations, tutorials, contests, and more.
The virtual celebration will consist of live appearances as well as pre-recorded material.
A schedule of programs, including times, will be posted on the library’s Facebook page. To participate from home, families can visit the El Paso Public Library Facebook page anytime starting at 11 a.m.
On this day, the City will join communities across the country to honor and recognize children with a tradition that began in El Paso 24 years ago, largely through the efforts of El Paso children’s author Pat Mora.
As part of the celebration, the Public Library and the Parks and Recreation Department have teamed up with the Children’s Kingdom to distribute books as part of the meal distribution system.
Books, along with a meal, will be distributed by curbside pick-up at the following sites:
- Galatzan Rec. Center, 650 Wallenberg, 11:30 a.m. to 12:30 p.m.
- Nolan Richardson Rec. Center, 4435 Maxwell, 11:30 a.m. to 12:30 p.m.
- Seville Rec Center, 6700 Sambrano, 11:30 a.m. to 12:30 p.m.
- Marty Robbins Rec Center, 11600 Vista del Sol, 1 p.m. to 2 p.m.
- Pavo Real Rec Center, 9301 Alameda, 1 p.m. to 2 p.m.
- Sue Young Park, 9730 Diana, 1 p.m. to 2 p.m.
Curbside book distribution will follow City directives for COVID-19, including social distancing and wearing a mask.