The results are in for the Downtown Management District’s (DMD) fifth annual downtown survey conducted during the entire month of July, 2019.
“We’re focused on creating an environment the community can embrace and enjoy. Gaining public input is one of the best ways to ensure what we are doing will continue to foster the fun, unique, and inclusive experience we are striving to provide. We are grateful to all that participated in our survey,” said DMD Executive Director, Joe Gudenrath.
The DMD utilizes the unscientific, online survey to gauge the opinions of downtown property owners, business owners, employees, visitors and the general public on the present conditions of downtown, future needs, and the performance of the DMD itself.
The results of this survey were shared with the DMD Board at its August 22nd meeting.
Participation increased from last year with more positive responses overall.
The fifteen (15) question online survey, made available in both English and Spanish, garnered 876 total respondents, up from the 694 respondents in 2018. As in year’s past, this year’s online survey was distributed via local media, social media, flyers, direct mail and e-mail.
Regarding the Current Conditions of Downtown El Paso:
- 91% of respondents say Downtown is Progressing (up 8% from 2018)
- 81% of respondents say their Perception of Downtown has Improved over the last 12 months (up 5% from 2018)
- “Restaurants, bars, nightclubs and other attractions” saw a major increase (+7%) as the primary reason respondents visit downtown.
- Among types of events, “Theater Events” are the biggest draw of event goers (31%).
Regarding the future of downtown, the public’s top 3 priorities remained the same for the 3rd year in a row:
Regarding the DMD’s Performance and Services:
- 95% of respondents gave the DMD a passing grade (“C” or better) compared to 92% in 2018
- “A or B” = 83%
- “C” = 12%
- “D or F” = 3%
- 50-56% of respondents favored DMD expansion in 2 areas of service:
- Advocacy and Planning (56%)
- Economic Development & Grants (50%)
The DMD incentivized the survey with a chance to win a $100 gift card to a downtown business of their choosing. Survey respondent, Melissa Downey won the $100 gift certificate to Anson 11, the restaurant of her choice. Click here for the full survey presentation.