The El Paso Downtown Management District (DMD) is once again teaming up with Downtown El Paso’s historic Sacred Heart Church for the Fifth Annual Segundo Barrio Backpack and School Supply Drive.
The DMD is challenging the public to join together in collecting school supplies and/or money over the next few weeks to support local school children and help ensure they are prepared to start a new school year.
“Witnessing the excitement of hundreds of children receiving their backpacks is a memorable experience. We need the generosity of the public and our partners to help our local children prepare for the upcoming school year. The DMD is always grateful for being able to support the students in El Segundo Barrio and neighboring communities,” said Joe Gudenrath, DMD Executive Director.
Last year, because the community’s generosity, over 1,100 backpacks filled with school supplies were collected and presented to local children in need. This year, organizers hope to exceed that number.
This is how to help:
- Collect school supplies listed on the attached list between now and Friday, August 2nd. Monetary donations will also be accepted by the Downtown Management District. (Click Here to make a contribution online)
- On or before August 2nd, deliver the school supplies to the Downtown Management District Monday-Friday, 8:30am to 4:30pm. The DMD office is located at 201 E. Main Street, Suite 107. Call ahead and we’ll be able to assist you – (915) 400-2294.
- Volunteer to assist in the distribution of backpacks on Saturday, August 10, 2019. Please call (915) 400-2294 or e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org
School supplies needed:
- Pens (black ink)
- Notebooks (spiral, wide-ruled)
- Folders (2 pocket, clasps)
- Lined loose leaf paper (wide-ruled)
- Color pencils
- Pencil Sharpener
- Glue stick