El Calvario Church
El Calvario Immigrant Advocacy Center Las Cruces, NM will begin to resettle Afghan individuals and will continue to do so over the coming months under its Refugee Resettlement Program.
As an Afghan Placement & Assistance (APA) Program partner of Church World Service, El Calvario will provide a warm welcome to every arriving newcomer and help them get a fresh start toward their new lives in their communities.
“El Calvario is expecting and welcomes the first group of refugees within the next few weeks, which will then need to be housed,” said Rev. George Miller, executive director. “These newcomers will be arriving with nothing but the clothes on their back. We’ve been helping with emergency humanitarian Assistance so far and we will need volunteers to help in a variety of services, especially with Dari and Pashto translation.”
The individuals and families resettling in the Las Cruces, NM, region and greater New Mexico as well as El Paso, TX area will come from military bases across the country. Upon arrival, the individuals and/or families will be supported in gaining access to housing, transportation, employment, and other benefits they are eligible for.
“We’re excited to welcome our new New Mexicans,” said Verónica Frescas, resettlement program director. “I’m hopeful that our communities throughout New Mexico and El Paso will demonstrate their compassion and respond favorably to this, first of many, call-to-action opportunities with their time and donations.”
El Calvario invites individuals, groups and organizations to partner with El Calvario United Methodist Church’s Refugee Resettlement Program under the Resiliency & Well Being Program. Here are ways to help:
You or your church/organization can sponsor an individual or family.
- Language interpretation in Dari and Pashto
- Assistance with food and furniture drives
- Essential shopping or other necessary appointments
- Tutoring or mentoring to help newly arrived refugees find jobs
- Help with tech support and digital literacy
- Sponsor a family
The most immediate need is housing. El Calvario guarantees that these refugees will pay the rent and be fine tenants.
- If you are a landlord, property manager, or own and Airbnb
- Landlords who have rental property they would be willing to set aside for six to 12 months because of this unique situation
- Apartment complexes willing to rent
Your gift helps provide food, housing assistance, job training, mental health counseling and more.
- New or gently-used household items such as bedroom, living space, and dining room furniture, strollers or car seats
- New or gently-used business/job attire
- Technological items including computers, smart phones, tablets
- Monetary donations and gift cards to provide long-term assistance
- Individuals and families coming will need legal help before and after they arrive
Newcomers are mothers, fathers, and children. They are doctors, nurses, and medical aides working in our hospitals and elder care facilities caring for COVID-19 patients. They are entrepreneurs and educators, and bring needed skills, grow local economies and make our nation more vibrant. Our newcomers will need employment to successfully integrate.
- Companies or businesses willing to hire refugees