Photo courtesy EP Electric – City of El Paso
Over the last several days, El Paso Electric (EPE) has received calls from EPE customers reporting that scammers are threatening to disconnect their electric service for non-payment or to pre-pay a new meter.
As these scams become more sophisticated, customers should hang up and call an El Paso Electric phone number to report the call or inquire about the status of their account. EPE will never ask customers for payment over the phone or in person.
Customers are advised to stay vigilant by following these tips:
- Always be suspicious of any call asking for payment, especially if they require payment with a prepaid debit card. EPE has various payment methods through authorized payment options, and none of them include prepaid debit cards.
- EPE will never direct customers to an exclusive location to handle payment.
- If there are any questions regarding the authenticity of the caller claiming to represent EPE, report the issue at (915) 543-5970 in Texas, (575) 526-5555 in New Mexico or call toll free at (800) 592-1634. Scams can also be reported online at: www.epelectric.com/reportscams
- Do not offer any confidential information unless the customer initiated the contact with EPE customer service at one of the above numbers.
- Be aware that the following pieces of information are considered personal and should never be volunteered unless you are certain you are speaking to an EPE representative:
- EPE Account Number
- EPE Monthly Electric Bill
- Last Four Digits of your Social Security Number
Scammers can mask a call to make it appear the call was originated by EPE. If you have any doubt about the authenticity of a caller, hang up and call EPE directly. For a complete list of EPE authorized payment options or for financial assistance, Click Here
For our complete coverage, Click Here