Photo courtesy Sun Metro
City officials remind the public that the El Paso Streetcar will undergo required monthly testing starting Monday, March 15th.
“Streetcar service is still suspended in response to the COVID-19 pandemic and cars will not be picking up passengers during this time,” Sun Metro officials shared.
According to Sun Metro, the testing will be conducted daily between the hours of 7 a.m. and 4 p.m. to ensure rail certifications, infrastructure and car maintenance are compliant as required by federal regulations.
Upcoming testing dates are as follows:
- March 15-19
- April 12-16
- May 10-14
- June 7-11
Testing will be carried out on both the uptown and downtown loops, with streetcars running multiple times along the route throughout the day.
Officials remind resident that, hile the streetcar is operating for testing purposes, motorists and pedestrians are urged to be extra vigilant and obey all safety measures along the route to include:
- Never stop your vehicle on the tracks.
- Obey all crossing signals and signage.
- Never walk, run or ride your bicycle along the streetcar tracks.
- Stay alert near all streetcar pedestrian crossings. Keep cells phones or headphones off until after your cross.
- Keep a safe distance between yourself and the streetcars.