Photo courtesy Sun Metro
Officials with Sun Metro announced Monday morning that the El Paso Streetcar will undergo scheduled operational testing this week, September 21 – 25, 2020.
The public is reminded that streetcar service is suspended in response to COVID-19, and will not be picking up passengers during its testing period.
The testing will be conducted between 8 a.m. and 4 p.m.
“The testing will be carried out on both the downtown and uptown loops. Streetcars will run the routes multiple times during the day as required by federal regulation,” officials added.
While the streetcar is operating, motorists and pedestrians are urged to be extra vigilant and obey all safety measures along the route to include:
- Never stop your vehicle on the tracks.
- Obey all crossing signals and signage.
- Never walk, run or ride your bicycle along the streetcar tracks.
- Stay alert near all streetcar pedestrian crossings.
- Keep cells phones or headphones off until after your cross.
- Keep a safe distance between yourself and the streetcars.