Photo courtesy The El Paso Transnational Trolley Project \ Facebook
The El Paso Streetcars will begin what officials call “Pre-Revenue Service” on Tuesday, October 9, 2018. This is the next step for Sun Metro before it can launch the streetcar service for the public.
The pre-revenue operation referred to as a “dress rehearsal” will emulate the proposed hours the streetcar will run on the Downtown and Uptown loops and it will do so without a safety escort.
The City will enforce all traffic ordinances that could potentially stop the streetcar from operating. Vehicles that are parked on the streetcar tracks or impede the streetcar from moving forward, will be fined and towed.
During this period, streetcar staff will operate the proposed schedule with no passengers on board to evaluate everything from streetcar speeds to roundtrip times, as well as other items. This will ensure the streetcars are safe for public use.
City officials add “It’s important that the streetcars be allowed to operate throughout the route with no blocks or delays during the pre-revenue service period.”
Here are a few important safety tips for residents to keep in mind:
- DO NOT board the streetcar even if the doors open at a station during this testing phase.
- Avoid driving in the “Bus Lane” along Oregon, designated strictly for Streetcar and Bus use, unless a right-hand turn is necessary.
- Motorists should not go around or cut off the streetcar. The streetcar can start moving unexpectedly. If a streetcar is stopped for an extended period of time due to an interruption, it will turn on hazard lights (four-way flashers), indicating that is OK to go around it.
- Pedestrians should exercise extra caution around the streetcar. Even at posted un-signalized crosswalks, the streetcar cannot make abrupt stops.
- Cyclists should avoid riding near streetcar tracks. Track grooves are slightly wider than the typical bike tire, so it’s easy for tires to become caught between the rails. Always cross rails at a 90 degree angle.
For more information about El Paso Streetcar safety, go online or call (915) 212-3333
Hours of Operations:
|Monday – Thursday||7:00 a.m. – 7:00 p.m.|
|Friday||7:00 a.m. – 1:00 a.m.|
|Saturday||9:00 a.m. – 1:00 a.m.|
|Sunday||9:00 a.m. – 5:00 p.m.|