The El Paso Fire Department would like to remind the public that when an emergency vehicle pulls up behind you with lights and sirens on, it is important to move to the right.
EPFD officials say, “It is important to remember that personnel are responding to an emergency, and lives and property are in the balance.”
To that end, EPFD shares the following tips, so that personnel can reach these emergencies quickly and safely. Remember, in emergencies, seconds and minutes count.
- When it is safe to do so, pull over to the right until the fire department vehicle has passed.
- Do NOT stop in the middle of the street.
- Do not pull over to the left. The left lane is the designated lane for emergency vehicles.
- When you pull over to the right, do not pull over erratically or unsafely. Please be conscious of other vehicles in lanes to your right.
- Under no circumstances, never, ever pass an emergency vehicle with its lights and sirens on.
- Never try to outrun a vehicle to avoid having to pull over
- Never tailgate an emergency vehicle. The safe distance is 500 feet.