TAMPA, Fl.- After a straight-set victory over her Cincinnati opponent, freshman Erandi Martinez notched her 17th singles victory in her rookie year, and her seventh in dual match play this spring.
Martinez took out Caroline Morton 6-0, 6-4 at the no. 3 spot in the lineup to move to 17-8 overall, but the Bearcats got by the Miners 6-1 on Tuesday at the USF Varsity Tennis Courts in Tampa, Fla. The win put Cincinnati to 8-6 on the season, while the Miners moved to 4-7 this spring.
“Another tough loss today,” head coach Ivan Fernandez said. “Doubles are still a work in progress. Erandi was the star today winning her match. On most of the courts we competed well in the first sets, but then we let it slip away. It is a great learning experience to play against teams from these tough conferences.”
The doubles point went to Cincinnati with wins on all three courts. Lois Wagenvoort and Raven Bennett were paired against the Bearcats’ Ioana Guna and Morton at the top of the lineup, but after earning three points for the Miners, the Cincinnati tandem pulled away for a 6-3 win. At the no. 2 position, Yvette Van Oyen and Maria Paula Medina faced Antonella Bramato and Alexia Coutino, but slipped 6-2.
Milena Baigorria and Alisa Morozova battled Emma Miceli and Ali Miller at the no. 3 spot, falling in a 6-1 tilt.
In singles action, van Oyen returned to play full of fight, pushing Cincinnati’s Emma Miceli to three sets at the no. 5 position. The graduate transfer took the first set in a convincing 6-2 fashion, but fell in the second and decisive third set 6-0, 6-1, respectively. At the top spot, Wagenvoort faced Guna, keeping pace but ultimately falling 6-3, 6-3.
Bennett, playing no. 2, was pitted against Coutino, which led to a competitive set one but ended in a 6-4, 6-1 win for the Bearcats. Playing the no. 4 position, Medina kept pace with Bramato in the first frame, but slipped 6-4, 6-0. Morozova took on Anna Philp at the no. 6 spot, but fell 6-2, 6-2. The Miners will continue their Florida tour when they head to Boca Raton to face Conference USA for Florida Atlantic on Thursday, March 15. First serve against the Owls is set for 12 p.m. MST.
Tennis Match Results – Cincinnati vs UTEP
Mar 13, 2018 at Tampa, Fla. (USF Varsity Tennis Courts) – Cincinnati 6, UTEP 1
- Guna, Ioana (CIN) def. Lois Wagenvoort (UTEP) 6-3, 6-3
2. Coutino, Alexia (CIN) def. Raven Bennett (UTEP) 6-4, 6-1
3. Erandi Martinez (UTEP) def. Morton, Caroline (CIN) 6-0, 6-4
4. Bramato, Antonella (CIN) def. Maria Paula Medina (UTEP) 6-4, 6-0
- Miceli, Emma (CIN) def. Yvette Van Oijen (UTEP) 2-6, 6-0, 6-1
6. Philp, Anna (CIN) def. Alisa Morozova (UTEP) 6-2, 6-2
- Guna, Ioana/Morton, Caroline (CIN) def. Lois Wagenvoort/Raven Bennett (UTEP) 6-3
2. Bramato, Antonella/Coutino, Alexia (CIN) def. Yvette Van Oijen/Maria Paula Medina (UTEP) 6-2
- Miceli, Emma/Miller, Ali (CIN) def. Milena Baigorria/Alisa Morozova (UTEP) 6-1