The first payments from the extended Child Tax Credit will hit most families’ bank accounts today, providing much-needed relief for some as they recover from the pandemic.
Congresswoman Veronica Escobar (TX-16) announced that 53,800 El Paso households could expect to receive monthly Child Tax Credit payments as part of the American Rescue Plan Act, which Congresswoman Escobar voted to send to President Joe Biden’s desk in March 2021.
“Help is here for 191,300 El Paso children and their families – nearly 94% of children in our community,” said Congresswoman Escobar. “Starting today, the American Rescue Plan will provide a historic and transformational relief to roughly 39 million American households – including 53,800 in El Paso. This tax cut delivers on my promise of helping set our children up for success and putting more money in the pocket of hardworking El Pasoans.”
The American Rescue Plan expanded the Child Tax Credit to up to $3,600 per child for children ages 0 to 5 and $3,000 per child for children ages 6 to 17.
The American Rescue Plan also authorized advance monthly payments of the Child Tax Credit through December 2021. Beginning in July 15th, 2021, qualifying families can get up to:
- $300 a month per child for children ages 0 to 5.
- $250 a month per child for children ages 6 to 17.
Families will qualify for a full credit if their income is below $75,000 for single filers, $112,000 for people filing as head of household, or $150,000 for people who are married and filing jointly.
How Do I Get My Payment?
- Nearly all hardworking families should get their monthly payments automatically beginning July 15th with no further action required. If you’ve filed tax returns for 2019 or 2020, or if you signed up to receive a stimulus check from the Internal Revenue Service, you will get this tax relief automatically. You do not need to sign up or take any action.
- Families who did not file a tax return for 2019 or 2020 and who did not use the IRS Non-filers tool last year to sign up for the Economic Impact Payments, should go online and use the IRS Child Tax Credit Non-filer Sign-up Tool to sign up today.
- Families who got their refunds from the IRS through direct deposit will get these payments in their bank account around the 15th of every month until the end of 2021. People who don’t use direct deposit will receive their payment by mail around the same time.
- Families will be able to determine their eligibility, check the status of their payments and more at IRS.gov/childtaxcredit2021.
Congress will decide whether to make the tax credit permanent as part of the debate about the Biden administration’s next spending bill.