City Generic - Photo courtesy of City Govt.
City Generic - Photo courtesy of City Govt.

Fourth of July Pet Safety Tips: Keep Pets Safe, Bringing Them Indoors

With the July Fourth holiday around the corner, the City of El Paso Animal Services is urging pet owners to keep their pets safe and bring them indoors during the holiday festivities.

Each year, the holiday weekend and its firework celebrations have resulted in hundreds of pets fleeing from their home. Animal Services receives a large number of calls regarding pets who escaped from their families in a desperate attempt to flea after being frightened by fireworks and the other stressful events the holiday can cause. Losing a pet is no way to celebrate a holiday, so keep them safe by following these simple tips:

·         Resist the urge to take your pets to Fourth of July firework displays/events

·         Keep pets indoors and close the curtains

·         Take pets outside on a leash to “do their business” prior to the evening hours when fireworks are typically lit

·         Turn on the radio or television to help mask outdoor noises

·         Microchip your pet, or make sure your pet’s microchip is up-to-date with the correct contact information

·         Keep a well-fitting (not tight) collar and identification tag on your pet

·         If your pet is crate-trained, place them in their crate

Animal Services also encourages the community to take steps to help lost pets reunite with their families before bringing them to the shelter, as the shelter remains full and at critical capacity. Chances are lost pets haven’t wandered too far from home, and they are much more likely to be reunited with their families if they stay within their communities.

Tips to help lost pets get back home:

·         Get the pet scanned for a microchip. You can get pets scanned for free at any El Paso Fire station or veterinary office

·         File a Found Pet Report on or by calling 311

·         Post photos of the pet on social media sites, Nextdoor, Petco Love Lost, Pawboost and Craigslist

·         If the pet is in need of urgent assistance, or is in danger, injured, sick or aggressive, call 311 and an Animal Protection Officer will respond

·         If you lost a pet, visit our website to file a Lost Pet Report and visit the shelter to view found pets


For our complete coverage, Click Here   |