With rail work expanding along the El Paso Streetcar’s Uptown Loop and utility relocation work continuing along the Uptown and Downtown Loops, motorists are advised of several changes in traffic control beginning next week.
Beginning on Monday, June 27, 2016, Franklin Street will be closed to all traffic east of Stanton Street. This closure is necessary so crews can resume utility relocation work there. Stanton Street will be reduced to one lane at Franklin Avenue. Additionally, motorists should expect lane closures on Franklin Avenue between Santa Fe Street and Oregon Street and between Mesa Street and Stanton Street.
The closure of Franklin Avenue is expected to remain in place for approximately one week. Motorists who use Franklin to access I-10 eastbound from Downtown El Paso should consider alternate routes such as Wyoming Avenue or Campbell Street to Franklin Avenue.
When this section of work is complete, Stanton Street will close to all traffic between Franklin Avenue and Missouri Avenue.
Beginning on Monday, June 27, 2016, Oregon Street will be reduced to a single northbound lane between University Avenue and Schuster Avenue as crews begin removing asphalt in preparation to begin laying rail in that section of street. The closure in this work zone is expected to last through September.
Oregon Street will re-open to northbound traffic between Glory Road and Cincinnati Avenue by Monday, June 27, 2016. To safely accommodate track-related work near the University of Texas at El Paso, Oregon Street will remain reduced to a single northbound lane between Glory Road and University Avenue thru mid-August.
As work continues along the El Paso Streetcar Project’s 4.8 mile route, the following traffic patterns will remain in place:
- Father Rahm Avenue between Santa Fe Street and Kansas Street
- Kansas Street between Paisano Drive and Father Rahm Avenue
- Stanton Street between Robinson Avenue and Kerbey Avenue
- Boston Avenue between Mesa Street and Kansas Street
- Crosby Avenue between Mesa Street and Stanton Street
- Main Drive closed at Santa Fe Street
- Rim Road west of Oregon Street
- Santa Fe Street between Franklin Avenue and Main Drive
- Santa Fe Street between Paisano Drive and Loop 375
- Stanton Street between Cliff Drive and Schuster Avenue
- Campbell Street at First Avenue
- University Avenue at Oregon
OTHER UPCOMING CLOSURES AND LANE RESTRICTIONS
- As utility relocation work continues along Stanton Street, the intersection of Stanton Street and Baltimore Drive will close to all traffic in the coming weeks. An exact date for this closure has not been announced.