UTEP (5-6) rallied to win the doubles point and then used singles victories from Erandi Martinez, Kathleen Percegona and Veronika Lebisova on the way to a 4-0 vanquishing of UTRGV (3-16) on Tuesday at the El Paso Tennis Club.
It marks the second straight win and fourth in the past six matches for the Orange and Blue.
“The team fought super hard today,” UTEP head coach Ivan Fernandez said. “UTRGV came out with a lot of energy. It took all we had to fight back to win the doubles point. In singles we came out strong and were able to get up early in several courts and managed to close out the match. I’m very proud of how hard we played today. This team is showing some great character and I hope we can keep this going a little longer.”
The two teams split the first two matches of doubles action, putting all the focus on No. 1 doubles. The Miners’ tandem of Thassane Abrahim/Lebisova trailed UTRGV’s Katarina Sasaroga/Isabelle Bahr, 5-3, but they would rally. The pair won the next four games to rally for the 7-5 set victory, clinching the doubles point in the process.
Earlier in doubles play Lyric Bonilla/Percegona bested Sandra Putz/Ana Platisa, 6-4, at No. 3 doubles. Vanessa Valdez/Lina Sachica were stopped by Valeria Montero/Lea Karren, 6-2, at No. 2 singles.
Action then switched over to singles where the Miners used wins at No. 2, No. 4 and No. 5 to wrap up the match. Martinez got it going with a 6-1, 6-4 besting of Sasaroga at No. 2. Kathleen Percegona took down Kristyna Mamicova, 6-3, 6-2, at No. 4 singles. Lebisova was in top form, rolling past Putz, 6-2, 6-3, at No. 5 singles.
The Miners will shoot for their third consecutive victory when they battle Tarleton State at 12 p.m. MT Thursday. Martinez and Valdez will be honored in a pre-match ceremony.
For complete coverage of UTEP tennis, be sure to follow the Miners on social media at @UTEPWTennis (Twitter), @UTEP_Tennis (Instagram) and on Facebook or click here to visit the official home of UTEP Athletics.
UTEP 4, UTRGV 0
- Vanessa Valdez (UTEP) vs. Isabelle Bahr (UTRGV) 3-6, 4-3, unfinished
- Erandi Martinez (UTEP) def. Katarina Sasaroga (UTRGV) 6-1, 6-4
- Lina Sachica (UTEP) vs. Lea Karren (UTRGV) 6-7, 1-1, unfinished
- Kathleen Percegona (UTEP) def. Kristyna Mamicova (UTRGV) 6-3, 6-2
- Veronika Lebisova (UTEP) def. Sandra Putz (UTRGV) 6-2, 6-3
- Elena Dibattista (UTEP) vs. Valeria Montero (UTRGV) 6-3, 4-3, unfinished
- Thassane Abrahim/Veronika Lebisova (UTEP) def. Katarina Sasaroga/Isabelle Bahr (UTRGV) 7-5
- Valeria Montero/Lea Karren (UTRGV) def. Vanessa Valdez/Lina Sachica (UTEP) 6-2
- Lyric Bonilla/Kathleen Percegona (UTEP) def. Sandra Putz/Ana Platisa (UTRGV) 6-4
Order of finish: Doubles (2,3,1); Singles (2,4,5)
Gallery by Ruben R. Ramirez – El Paso Herald Post