Photo by Ruben R. Ramirez | El Paso Herald Post
UTEP (3-5) took the doubles point and got wins in singles play from Vanessa Valdez, Veronika Lebisova and Thassane Abrahim to stop UT Tyler 4-0, at the El Paso Tennis Club Friday.
The other matches went unfinished as the teams were using clinch format.
“It was great to get off to a fast start in the doubles and secure the point after winning No. 1 and No. 2,” UTEP head coach Ivan Fernandez said. “In the singles, Vane played some of her best tennis today, winning 6-0, 6-0. Vero got the next point in a straight set win to put us up 3-0 in the match. The remaining four matches were very close and could have gone either way. Tuca did a great job coming back after losing the first set to win in three sets and clinch the match for us. She has struggled lately in singles so it was great to see her win again. We have a tough few matches left ahead and we will continue to fight as always.”
Abrahim and Lebisova doubled up Leony Deutschmann/Akshaya Suresh, 6-3, at No. 1 doubles, to improve to 5-1 on the year when playing together. UTEP then locked up the point after Valdez and Lina Sachicha bested Chloe Chawner/Chloe Dix, 6-3, at No. 2 doubles. Lyric Bonilla/Kathleen Percegona led Tanvikhaa Saravanan/Anna Claire Gerletti, 5-3, when the match was halted with the point decided.
Valdez continued her solid play in singles with the double-bagel (6-0, 6-0) effort against Gaini Ibrasheva at No. 1 singles. Lebisova also looked strong, taking down Eva Riekenbrauck, 6-2, 6-3, at No. 6 singles. The Miners then clinched the match after Abrahim rallied past Chawner, 4-6, 7-5, 6-1 at No. 4 singles.
UTEP will take aim at its second straight win when it plays host to NAU (8-4) at 12 p.m. MT Saturday.
The Miners will then wrap up the weekend with a match at I-10 rival NM State (4-10) at 12 p.m. MT Sunday.
For complete coverage of UTEP tennis, be sure to follow the Miners on social media at @UTEPWTennis (Twitter), @UTEP_Tennis (Instagram) and on Facebook or click here to visit the official home of UTEP Athletics.
UTEP 4 – UT Tyler 0
- Vanessa Valdez (UTEP) def. Gaini Ibrasheva (UTT) 6-0, 6-0
- Erandi Martinez (UTEP) vs. Tanvikhaa Saravanan (UTT) 6-3, 1-6, 4-4, unfinished
- Kathleen Percegona (UTEP) vs. Leony Deutschmann (UTT) 4-6, 6-6, unfinished
- Thassane Abrahim (UTEP) def. Chloe Chawner (UTT) 4-6, 7-5, 6-1
- Lina Sachica (UTEP) vs. Akshaya Suresh (UTT) 6-4, 3-6, 2-1, unfinished
- Veronika Lebisova (UTEP) def. Eva Riekenbrauck (UTT) 6-2, 6-3
- Thassane Abrahim/Veronika Lebisova (UTEP) def. Leony Deutschmann/Akshaya Suresh (UTT) 6-3
- Vanessa Valdez/Lina Sachica (UTEP) def. Chloe Chawner/Chloe Dix (UTT) 6-3
- Lyric Bonilla/Kathleen Percegona (UTEP) vs. Tanvikhaa Saravanan/Anna Claire Gerletti (UTT) 5-3, unfinished
UT Tyler 10-4
Order of finish: Doubles (1); Singles (1,6,4)
Gallery by Ruben R. Ramirez – El Paso Herald Post