On Thursday, officials with KVIA (ABC-7) and UTEP Athletics announced that the station is now the “Official Home of the UTEP Miners” after entering into a multiyear agreement with UTEP Athletics.
“We’re delighted to join forces with KVIA-TV on what we believe will be a mutually beneficial partnership,” UTEP Director of Athletics Jim Senter said. “ABC-7 is the top-rated news provider in our community, and the El Paso-Las Cruces CW targets the crucial young demographic of 18 to 34 year olds. We’re excited about providing greater exposure than ever before for all our sports programs, while continuing to tell the stories of our student-athletes, coaches and teams.”
Officials share that the move unites the community’s premier intercollegiate athletics entity with the area’s preeminent news station.
“I’m honored to see ABC-7, the Borderland’s dominant ratings and community service leader, join forces to become the official media partner with UTEP Athletics,” KVIA General Manager Kevin Lovell said.
“UTEP pride runs in my veins. I have a Master’s degree in Communication from UTEP. For my thesis, I produced two dozen 75th anniversary Diamond Jubilee UTEP public service spots. I inaugurated the first Sports Journalism course at UTEP. I produced and anchored the 20th anniversary documentary on the 1966 Miners NCAA championship team. I hosted the Don Haskins Show. Now, I’m especially proud for KVIA to partner with UTEP Athletics to share with our viewers the important role UTEP Athletics plays in the community. Go Miners!”
“As a UTEP graduate, I am very much looking forward to this partnership with UTEP,” KVIA-TV Sports Director Adrian Ochoa said. “I can’t wait to share the stories of the UTEP student athletes and coaches with our ABC-7 viewers. It truly is an honor for this lifelong Miners fan. Picks Up.”
As part of the agreement, KVIA will:
- Be recognized by UTEP Athletics in various ways, including in-game elements, venue signage, website incorporation and social media content
- Self-identify as the “Official Home of the UTEP Miners” through PSAs, station identification, website incorporation and social media content
- Hold the TV broadcast rights for any UTEP games that are not a part of the Conference USA package
- Serve as the home of UTEP coaches’ segments airing weekly during newscasts
- Receive exclusive, behind-the-scenes access to UTEP Athletics to develop and create special content
- Provide game day weather and traffic reports that will appear in-venue at UTEP Athletics events as well as on social media platforms
In addition, KVIA-TV and UTEP Athletics will collaborate on unique news broadcast opportunities, including live remotes.
UTEP Athletics will have the ability to promote upcoming games, ticket sales, etc. through a significant advertising allotment with KVIA.