Starting in April, the City of El Paso Museums and Cultural Affairs Department (MCAD) will begin to accept cultural funding program applications for the FY2018 cultural funding cycle.
Applications will be accepted until May 11, through the city’s online application system; however, applicants must attend a mandatory orientation before an application can be submitted. A schedule of workshops and updated cultural funding guidelines are available under the Arts Funding tab.
The cultural funding program is a way for MCAD to directly invest in the arts, to foster cultural activity and build a vibrant creative community. Each year, MCAD grants out approximately a quarter of its Cultural Affairs Division budget to support arts and cultural activity geared towards El Pasoans and visitors.
These programs provide operational support, community art programs and directly fund local artists, as well as fostering and developing festivals.
“This program represents an active investment on the part of the City recognizing the impact that artists and arts programming make not only on El Paso’s quality of life, but economically as well,” said Director of Museums and Cultural Affairs Tracey Jerome.
Last year, supported organizations, artists and projects served approximately 550,000 El Pasoans and visitors in programming across the city. Since overhauling the process to foster greater openness in 2007, the program has awarded more than $3.2 million to the local artistic community and has been cited as a model of transparency by the Texas Commission on the Arts.
- March 28, 2017: Guidelines available online at elpasoartsandculture.org
- April 6, 2017: Applications available online at http://elpasoarts.cgweb.org
- May 11, 2017: Applications due by 11:59 p.m.
- Operational Support Program: March 28, 9 a.m. at MCAD offices, 400 W. San Antonio, Ste. A in Board Room
- Project Support Program: March 30 & April 6 at 9 a.m. & 4 p.m. at El Paso Museum of History, 510 N. Santa Fe, in Seminar Room
- Artist Incubator Program and Community Arts Program: March 30 at 11 a.m. and 5:45 p.m. at the El Paso Museum of History, 510 N. Santa Fe, in the Seminar Room
- KickstART: March 29 at 11:30 a.m. at MCAD offices, 400 W. San Antonio, Ste. A in the Board Room