Photo by Ruben R Ramirez | UTEP
Saturday afternoon, the UTEP tennis team routed UTPB, 7-0, at the El Paso Tennis Club. The Miners (2-4) won all three doubles matches and each of the six singles contests.
“I’m proud of the energy we started with today,” UTEP head coach Ivan Fernandez said. “We were very excited to get back on the court. No. 1 doubles continues to stay undefeated. No. 3 doubles secured the point for us playing very solid. In singles we got off to fast starts and were able to win all the singles as well. This is a great showing today as we prepare for New Mexico on Thursday.”
Thassane Abrahim/Veronika Lebisova improved to 4-0 on the year by dispatching Lea Mjertan/Maria Briones, 6-0, at the top spot. Kathleen Percegona/Lina Sachica raced past Sofia Rischmagui/Monika Cantu, 6-1, at No. 3 doubles to ensure the team point for the Miners. For good measure Vanessa Valdez/Eve Daniels doubled up Lore Mewis/Krystal Smith, 6-3, at No. 2 doubles.
UTEP continued to cruise in singles action, securing straight set wins on all six courts. Valdez drilled Mewis, 6-0, 6-1 at No. 1 singles. Erandi Martinez won by the identical score in her match with Krysal Smith at No. 2 singles. Abrahim took down Anaya Singh, 6-0, 7-6, at No. 3 singles, while Sachica cruised past Lea Mjertan, 6-2, 6-1, at the No. 4 position.
Percegona made quick work of Briones, 6-0, 6-1, at No. 5 and Lebisova erased Rischmagui, 6-2, 6-2, at No. 6 singles.
The Orange and Blue return to action at New Mexico at 12 p.m. MT Thursday.
For complete coverage of UTEP tennis, be sure to follow the Miners on social media at @UTEPWTennis (Twitter), @UTEP_Tennis (Instagram) and on Facebook or visit the official home of UTEP Athletics at UTEPMiners.com.
- Vanessa Valdez (UTEP) def. Lore Mewis (UTPB) 6-0, 6-1
- Erandi Martinez (UTEP) def. Krystal Smith (UTPB) 6-0, 6-1
- Thassane Abrahim (UTEP) def. Anaya Singh (UTPB) 6-0, 7-6
- Lina Sachica (UTEP) def. Lea Mjertan (UTPB) 6-2, 6-1
- Kathleen Percegona (UTEP) def. Maria Briones (UTPB) 6-0, 6-1
- Veronika Lebisova (UTEP) def. Sofia Rischmagui (UTPB) 6-2, 6-2
- Thassane Abrahim/Veronika Lebisova (UTEP) def. Lea Mjertan/Maria Briones (UTPB) 6-0
- Vanessa Valdez/Eve Daniels (UTEP) def. Lore Mewis/Krystal Smith (UTPB) 6-3
- Kathleen Percegona/Lina Sachica (UTEP) def. Sofia Rischmagui/Monika Cantu (UTPB) 6-1
Order of finish: Doubles (1,3,2); Singles (5,2,1,4,6,3)