SAN ANTONIO – The short-handed UTEP tennis team fell 4-0 to LA Tech in a neutral-site match on Saturday at the UTSA Tennis Center, wrapping up a two-match conference road trip. The Miners are now 6-13 overall, 0-5 in Conference USA while the Lady Techsters moved to 9-8 on the season and 1-2 in C-USA play.
Doubles play began with the Lady Techsters advantage after the Miners were forced to forfeit no. 3 doubles due to an incomplete lineup. The Miners’ top tandem Lois Wagenvoort and Raven Bennett notched a dominating 6-2 win over LA Tech’s Karla De La Luz and Andrea Perez-Lopez to even the playing field for the doubles point.
The decisive match for the point was at no. 2 doubles, where Maria Paula Medina and Milena Baigorria fought, but fell 6-4 to the Lady Techsters’ Angela Lorenzo and Nadia Manjon.
Another forced forfeit on court six during singles play put the Miners in a 2-0 disadvantage. Medina was battling Lorenzo on court no. 4, but slipped 6-1, 6-0.
On court no. 2, Bennett stayed competitive in her tangle with Sonia Chen, who was working for her 12th straight singles win which would match the LA Tech record for longest winning streak. Bennett notched four points in the final frame, but slipped 6-2, 6-4 to Chen. Wagenvoort, who took the first set 6-4 over Manjon at the no. 1 spot, Erandi Martinez, and Baigorria’s matches were left unfinished as LA Tech clinched the match.
The Miners will turn to their final home match of the season when they host Texas A&M-Kingsville on Friday, April 13 at the El Paso Tennis and Swim Club. First serve against the Javelinas is set for 12 p.m. and the team will be celebrating Senior Day for lone senior Wagenvoort.
Tennis Match Results | UTEP vs Louisiana Tech | 4/7/2018 at San Antonio, Texas | (UTSA Tennis Center)
Louisiana Tech 4, UTEP 0 Singles competition
1. Nadja Manjon (TECH) vs. Lois Wagenvoort (UTEP) 4-6, 3-2, unfinished
2. Sonia Chen (TECH) def. Raven Bennett (UTEP) 6-2, 6-4
3. Karla De La Luz (TECH) vs. Erandi Martinez (UTEP) 6-3, 5-1, unfinished
4. Angela Lorenzo (TECH) def. Maria Paula Medina (UTEP) 6-1, 6-0
5. Claudia Oravcova (TECH) vs. Milena Baigorria (UTEP) 6-4, 4-3, unfinished
6. Andrea Perez-Lopez (TECH) def. No player (UTEP), by default
1. Lois Wagenvoort/Raven Bennett (UTEP) def. Karla De La Luz/Andrea Perez-Lopez (TECH) 6-2
2. Angela Lorenzo/Nadja Manjon (TECH) def. Maria Paula Medina/Milena Baigorria (UTEP) 6-4
3. Claudia Oravcova/Sonia Chen (TECH) def. No player/No player (UTEP), by default
UTEP 6-13 (0-5 C-USA)
Louisiana Tech 9-8 (1-2 C-USA)
Order of finish: Doubles (1,2); Singles (4,2)