Tuesday , September 19 2017
Home | News | Regional News | NMSU’s ICT Promotes Cyber Security Awareness
Student Tech Staff promoting cyber security at NMSU, from left, are Angelica Holguin (Student Technology Coordinator – student employee), Annette Candelaria (Communication Specialist), and Alexandra Garibay (ICT Student Technology & Planning Office Assistant – student employee) | Courtesy NMSU

NMSU’s ICT Promotes Cyber Security Awareness

October coincides with National Cyber Security Awareness Month and New Mexico State University’s Information & Communication Technologies Department is doing its part to spread awareness of safe internet practices.

“What we’re trying to do is every October have some presentations for staff and faculty so we can inform them of new security threats and what they can do, safe practices that don’t require a lot of technical expertise,” said Araceli Hernandez, ICT manager of student technology and planning.

With threats such as spam or phishing e-mails attempting to steal information, the presentations are intended to promote practices that will help protect NMSU data as well as student information and personal information.

“10 percent of the safeguards we take can be done by technical help, but the other 90 percent is done by users,” Hernandez said of what will be discussed in the presentations.

“Additionally, practicing safe computing practices is just the right thing to do, especially when a lot of student and employee personally identifiable information has been entrusted to NMSU. Practicing safe computing practices helps us to ensure compliance with various data privacy regulations that apply to NMSU’s IT activities,” said Carlos Lobato, CPA, CISA, CISSP, IT Compliance Officer.

The ICT Department set up four presentations to support these practices. The first two took place Oct. 1 and Oct. 21. The next presentations will be Oct. 25 and 27 in the Senate Gallery, Room 304, in Corbett Center.

Both presentations will last from 8:30-10 a.m. These presentations are open to NMSU faculty, staff and students.

Registration for the presentations can be found HERE; Other information and security tips can be found HERE.

Author:  Peter Foreman – NMSU

About Staff Report

Staff Reports are just that, Staff Reporting the news. No skew, no opinion just the news. We pride ourselves on making sure that we bring you the news as soon as it is published, submitted or sent to us. No need to have a reporter rewrite or give their opinion. The facts nothing more.

Check Also

Texas House Map Must be Redrawn, Federal Court Says

Parts of the Texas House map must be redrawn ahead of the 2018 elections because lawmakers …

RED CROSS 728X90