The online edition of the¬†El Paso Community Foundation’s¬†13th¬†annual¬†Plaza Classic Film Festival¬†goes live Wednesday, August 5.
Due the pandemic, this year’s Plaza Classic Film Festival is a hybrid of 14 digitally streamed films and 11 nightly pop-up drive-in movie programs, both of which run through August 9. For more information, click here.
The streaming edition includes digitally streamed movies such as 1984’s¬†Amadeus¬†(with an exclusive interview with El Paso’s¬†F. Murray Abraham), El Paso pop star¬†Khalid’s¬†Free Spirit, and the annual¬†Local Flavor¬†filmmaker showcase.
The Plaza Classic Film Festival Online opens with the iconic 1980 documentary¬†The Life and Times of Rosie the Riveter¬†at 1 p.m. August 5, and concludes at 2 p.m. August 9 with¬†Amadeus, preceded by a Zoom Q&A with Abraham, who won the Academy Award for his performance.
Free Spirit, a companion piece to Khalid’s album of the same name, streams at 7:30 p.m. August 5.
This year’s virtual festival features seven documentaries, including¬†Paul Espinosa’s¬†Singing Our Way to Freedom, an engaging look at Chicano musician and activist Ramon “Chunky” Sanchez;¬†Peter Miller’s¬†Projections of America, about the idealistic American propaganda films supervised by screenwriter Robert Riskin; and¬†Witness at Tornillo,¬†Shane Franklin’s¬†chronicle of one man’s effort to shut down a camp for migrant children in Tornillo, Texas.
The annual Local Flavor showcase highlights new local and locally connected films in two shorts programs,¬†Local Flavor I¬†and¬†Local Flavor II, curated by filmmakers¬†Zach Passero¬†and¬†Lucky McKee.
The third¬†Local Flavor Awards, sponsored by El Paso Electric,¬†will feature the announcement and encore screenings of two films, the $1,000 first prize and $500 second prize selections.
Also,¬†Joshua Lozano’s¬†Rest Stop, an adaptation of the Stephen King short story, will be shown out of competition.
Here’s the schedule:
- August 5:The Life and Times of Rosie the Riveter, 1 pm;Banging Lanie,¬†filmed in Las Cruces, N.M.¬†(followed by a Q&A with director¬†Allison Powell), 3:30 pm; and¬†Free Spirit, 7:30 pm.
- August 6:Projections of America(with Q&A with director Peter Miller), 1 pm;¬†The Hanged Woman Vol. II: The Den of Iniquity¬†(with Q&A with filmmaker¬†Marco Marcus), 3:30 pm; and¬†Singing Our Way to Freedom, 7 pm.
- August 7:Witness at Tornillo, 1 pm;The One and Only Jewish Miss America¬†(with Q&A with director¬†David Arond), 3:30 pm;¬†Local Flavor I¬†(with filmmaker Q&A with curators Zach Passero and Lucky McKee), 7 pm
- August 8:Finding Freddy,Robert Holguin’s¬†look at late El Paso comic Freddy Soto, 1 pm;¬†Rest Stop¬†(with Q&A with filmmaker Joshua Lozano), 3:30 pm;¬†Local Flavor II¬†(with filmmaker Q&A), 7 pm
- August 9:The Local Flavor Awards, 1 pm;¬†Amadeus¬†(preceded by a Q&A with El Paso native F. Murray Abraham), 2 pm.
Sponsors for this year’s Plaza Classic Film Festival On Tour and Online are El Paso Electric, the Paul L. Foster Family Foundation/Mills Plaza Properties, GECU, Debbi Hester/Realtor and Perry Hester/Realtor, the Woody and Gayle Hunt Family Foundation, In*Situ Architecture, the Texas Film Commission, TFCU, Tammy Vasilatos CPA, and the Museums and Cultural Affairs Department.