Important healthcare needs don’t stop just because of the COVID-19 public health crisis.
“Through telemedicine, Planned Parenthood is minimizing barriers for Texans seeking birth control pills, especially as we all take necessary precautions to remain at home during the COVID-19 pandemic,” said Ken Lambrecht, CEO of Planned Parenthood of Greater Texas.
During COVID-19, Planned Parenthood of Greater Texas’s El Paso Health Center is open for patients with time-sensitive healthcare appointments.
Like all healthcare providers during the pandemic, Planned Parenthood is not scheduling appointments that can be safely delayed. El Paso’s health center is currently open for patients for the following:
- Pain/infection exams
- Suspected breast mass exams
- Emergency contraception
- Depo Provera birth control
- PrEP/PEP HIV prevention
- STI screening and treatment
- Gender Affirming Hormone Therapy on-going patient appointments
Additionally, Planned Parenthood’s telemedicine app, Planned Parenthood Direct, continues to serve as important healthcare resource for patients who are 18-years-old and older.
Planned Parenthood Direct offers birth control options, including pills, patch, and ring contraception. Patients experiencing a urinary tract infection can also seek fast treatment through the app. After patients select their preferred birth control, they upload required information securely through the app for review by a Planned Parenthood medical provider.
If the patient is eligible, the provider approves a prescription to be delivered by mail or to a local pharmacy, depending on what the patient selected. A similar process is used for UTI assessment and treatment.
Details on the Planned Parenthood Direct app:
- Patients must be 18 years of age or older and provide a Texas driver’s license, official Texas ID, or a passport.
- Patients who opt to pick-up their prescription at a pharmacy may use insurance coverage. Pills delivered by mail cannot be covered by insurance at this time when using PlannedParenthood Direct.
- The Planned Parenthood Direct process takes about ten minutes, and is available 24/7.
- Pay with credit, debit, or prepaid card.
The app – Planned Parenthood Direct -can be downloaded for free in the Android and iPhone app stores.
Additional healthcare appointments will be available through Planned Parenthood Direct soon, to assist patients sheltering in place.