In a rare Saturday afternoon address to the nation, President Donald Trump announced a possible deal to end the stalemate that’s resulted in the longest government shutdown in the country’s history.
As part of his speech, the President offered temporary and partial DACA (Deferred Action for Childhood Arrival) or Dreamer’s protection in exchange for funding for his wall. President Trump bluntly stated, “I will fix this crisis, one way or the other.’
During the speech, President Trump referenced the ‘crisis on the border,’ noting the perilous journey migrants undertake from their home countries to the US border. He also mention the border as being a ‘wide-open gateway’ allowing drugs and criminals into the country.
President Trump added, “the Radical Left will never control our borders.”
According to the Washington Post, the president’s proposal offers “a reprieve on his attempts to end Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals (DACA) and temporary protected status (TPS) for immigrants from some Latin American and African nations.”
Via the White House website, the President’s proposal includes:
- Administration has requested $5.7 billion for construction of approximately 234 miles of new steel barrier on the Southern Border, a $4.1 billion increase over the Senate bill.
- To protect our communities, the Administration requested $675 million to deter and detect narcotics, weapons, and other materials crossing our borders.
- Among the Administration’s requests for more resources are:
- $211 million to hire 750 additional Border Patrol agents
- $571 million for 2,000 additional ICE personnel
- $4.2 billion for 52,000 detention beds, personnel, transportation, and detention alternatives
- $563 million for 75 additional immigration judges and support staff
House Speaker Nancy Pelosi responded to President Trump’s proposal as a “Non-Starter” and a rehashing of previously presented ideas.