Photo courtesy El Paso Streetcar Forum
Rail work associated with the El Paso Streetcar Project will expand to a third location this week, the Camino Real Regional Mobility Authority announced Monday.
Beginning on Wednesday, July 20, 2016, crews from Paso del Norte Trackworks will begin preparing to lay rail on Santa Fe Street between Franklin Avenue and Paisano Drive. This work includes removing asphalt along the eastern side of the street. When asphalt is removed and the ground has been properly prepared, crews will lay the rail.
As a result, Santa Fe Street will be reduced to one lane in each direction between Franklin and Paisano starting on Wednesday. Occasional closures of San Antonio Avenue and Overland Avenue at Santa Fe Street will also be required.
Work in this section of the route is to last for approximately ten weeks.
Rail work also continues on Oregon Street between Schuster Avenue and Glory Road and on Kansas Street between Paisano Drive and Father Rahm Avenue.
As other work continues along the El Paso Streetcar Project’s 4.8 mile route, the following traffic patterns remain in place:
Missouri Avenue remains reduced to one westbound lane at Stanton Street. This lane restriction will last for approximately three weeks as crews continue utility relocation work.
While Missouri will remain open, motorists who use Exit19B/Downtown from westbound Interstate 10 should consider turning left on Kansas Street or right on Campbell Street to avoid the lane restrictions. Motorists should also consider using Exit 19A/Mesa Street and Exit 20/Cotton Street.
Stanton Street also remains closed to all traffic between Franklin Avenue and Missouri Avenue. Utility relocation work will continue moving north on Stanton Street in the coming weeks.
- Oregon Street between Cincinnati Avenue and Glory Road
- Oregon Street between Schuster Avenue and Cincinnati Avenue (open to northbound traffic only)
- Stanton Street between Mississippi Avenue and Cincinnati Avenue
- Baltimore Drive between Mesa Street and Kansas Street
- Crosby Avenue between Stanton Street and Kansas Street
- Rim Road west of Oregon Street
- Hague Road west of Oregon Street
- Main Drive closed at Santa Fe Street
- Father Rahm Avenue between Santa Fe Street and Kansas Street
- Oregon Street between Schuster Avenue and Main Drive
- Franklin Avenue between Santa Fe Street and Kansas Street
- Santa Fe Street between Paisano Drive and Loop 375
- Stanton Street between Cliff Drive and Schuster Avenue
- Campbell Street at First Avenue
- University Avenue at Oregon Street
- Schuster Avenue at Oregon Street
- El Paso Street at Father Rahm Avenue
Other Upcoming Closures and Lane Restrictions
As utility relocation work continues, overnight closures of Santa Fe Street between Father Rahm Avenue and Third Avenue will be required in the coming weeks. An exact date for this closure has not been announced.
- Click here to sign-up for regular construction updates delivered to your email inbox.
- Like the El Paso Streetcar on Facebook and Instagram.
- Call the bilingual project information line: (844) 252-RAIL.