Key sections of Oregon Street near to the University of Texas at El Paso will reopen to traffic before classes resume for UTEP’s fall semester, the Camino Real Regional Mobility Authority announced Thursday.
All lanes of Oregon Street will reopen between University Avenue and Glory Road on Friday, August 19, 2016.
Also at that time, Oregon Street will reopen to northbound and southbound traffic between University Avenue and Schuster Avenue, however lane restrictions will remain in place there. Lane restrictions will also remain in place on Oregon Street between Schuster Avenue and Yandell Drive and on University Avenue at Oregon Street.
This section of Oregon Street marks the first time in the El Paso Streetcar Project that a section of street has reopened to traffic with newly-installed tracks embedded in the roadway. While crews have completed underground utility work, paving, sidewalk replacement, temporary striping, and track placement in this section, crews will have to return to install permanent striping and poles which will suspend the Overhead Contact System (OCS) which will power the streetcars.
The exact date for OCS pole installation has not been determined. Because pole foundations have already be placed, the installation of each pole only requires a small section of one lane to be closed for a few hours.
Much of the work associated with the El Paso Streetcar Project cannot be completed during or immediately following heavy rain. As monsoon moisture moves into the Desert Southwest, occasional unanticipated changes in scheduled construction activities may take place.
As work continues at other locations along the 4.8 mile route, the following street closures and lane restrictions will remain in place during the week of August 22:
- Stanton Street between Missouri Avenue and Wyoming Avenue
- Oregon Street between Missouri Avenue and Wyoming Avenue
- Crosby Avenue between Oregon Street and Stanton Street (Excluding intersections)
- Father Rahm Avenue between Kansas Street and Santa Fe Street (Excluding intersections)
- Kansas Street between Paisano Drive and Father Rahm Avenue (Including intersections)
- Rim Road west of Oregon Street
- Hague Road west of Oregon Street
- Santa Fe Street between Franklin Avenue and Montestruc Court
- Wyoming Avenue between Santa Fe Street and Kansas Street
- Missouri Avenue at Stanton Street
- Oregon Street at Father Rahm Avenue
- El Paso Street at Father Rahm Avenue
- Campbell Street at First Avenue
- Click here to sign-up for regular construction updates delivered to your email inbox.
- Like the El Paso Streetcar on Facebook and Instagram.
- Call the bilingual project information line: (844) 252-RAIL.