Photo courtesy El Paso Public Library
September is “Library Card Signup Month,” and the El Paso Public Library encourages parents to equip their children with a library card, the most important school supply of all.
Library cards are free for El Paso students and provide a wealth of resources that can help anyone succeed in school and in life. Students can use library cards to borrow books, magazines, music CDs and DVDs.
Students can take practice exams for grade school, college entrance, military and civil service, such as the ACT, SAT, GMAT, LSAT and ASVAB.
A library card also means access to computers and free internet access to download e-books, digital magazines, audiobooks, music and videos from the library website.
Getting a library card is free and easy. The following requirements are needed to get a library card from the El Paso Public Library:
- Visit any branch and complete a library card application form
- Show valid government issued photo ID. If the ID does not include a current address, a utility bill or other approved document with current address is required
- Military and consular personnel may show U.S. government issued IDs but must also provide proof of address within the United States
- Children under 13 years of age need a parent or guardian present to get a library card
- Those who live outside the City of El Paso may get a library card by paying a non-refundable fee of $25 for 6 months or $50 for 1 year of service
- Library cards cannot be issued to people residing outside of the United States
Library Card Signup Month has been held each September since 1987 to mark the beginning of the school year because library cards are essential for students.
Libraries play an important role in the education and development of children. Studies show that children who are read to in the home and who use the library perform better in school and are more likely to continue to use the library as a source of lifetime learning.
For more information, call the El Paso Public Library at (915) 212-READ or click HERE.