Seven seniors representing five EPISD high schools received the prestigious Terry Scholarship this year to attend UTEP, UT-Austin, UT-San Antonio and Texas A&M University.
The seven students are among 10 students citywide to receive the scholarship, which will cover up to the full cost of attendance for the 2021-2022 at 11 universities. The renewable last-dollar scholarship award works alongside other scholarships and grants to cover the full cost of undergraduate attendance for up to 8 semesters.
Terry Scholars also have the opportunity to receive a study abroad stipend and have access to a network of thousands of alumni in a variety of fields.
EPISD’s 2021 Terry Scholars are:
- Savannah Barrios, Irvin High School – UTEP
- Georgina Bugarini, Silva Health Magnet – UTEP
- Korina L. Garcia, Irvin High School – UT Austin
- Emily Leon A., Irvin High School – UT San Antonio
- Emilio Mendoza, El Paso High School – UTEP
- Bryan Perez, Jefferson High School – UTEP
- Leslie S. Ulloa-Pollock, Chapin High School – Texas A&M University
The scholarship was established in 1986 by Houston philanthropists Howard & Nancy Terry to provide scholarships to outstanding Texas students for attendance at public universities across the state.
Terry Scholars are selected based on three criteria: academic excellence, demonstrated leadership, and financial need.