The Camino Real Regional Mobility Authority has scheduled work to lay rail for the El Paso Streetcar Project across Paisano Drive at Kansas Street and Santa Fe Street in January.
To accommodate this work, the following closures will be in place between Tuesday, January 17, and Tuesday, January 31, 2017.
- Paisano Drive closed to thru traffic between Chihuahua Street and El Paso Street
- Paisano Drive closed to thru traffic between Stanton Street and Campbell Street
- Santa Fe Street closed to thru traffic between 4th Avenue and Overland Avenue
- Kansas Street closed to thru traffic between 3rd Avenue and Overland Avenue
Motorists who traverse Downtown El Paso on Paisano Drive will be re-routed onto a marked east-west alterate route utilizing San Antonio Avenue. Motorists who typically use downtown streets to connect between Interstate 10 and Loop 375 will be re-routed onto marked north-south alternate routes using Mesa Street or Campbell Street.
Although originally planned for in segments at different times over several months, Paso del Norte Trackworks will work at both locations 24 hours a day, seven days a week. This approach will expedite the construction, thereby minimizing the closure time and overall impact of this work.
Additionally, this work has been coordinated with the Border West Expressway project to complete this work before they re-open Paisano Drive in West El Paso to traffic.
Crews from Paso del Norte Trackworks are also coordinating closely with Texas Department of Transportation on work to reinforce the Oregon Street and Stanton Street overpasses which will carry the streetcar line over I-10 in Downtown El Paso.
To minimize the traffic impact, this work will take place overnight beginning on Sunday, January 29, 2016. During this work, the left lane of I-10 will be closed in both directions Sunday thru Thursday for approximately six weeks.
The following streets will re-open by the end of the day on Friday, December 23, 2016:
- Main Drive, Mills Avenue, Texas Avenue, Overland Avenue, First Avenue, San Antonio Avenue will re-open to east-west traffic at Kansas Street.
- Santa Fe Street will re-open to two-way traffic between Paisano Drive and Franklin Avenue. Lane restrictions will remain in place at Franklin Avenue and Paisano Drive and between Paisano Drive and Montestruc Court
- Oregon Street will re-open to two-way traffic between Yandell Drive and Glory Road. Lane restrictions remain in place between Yandell and California.
- Cliff Avenue, River Avenue, and California Avenue will re-open to east-west traffic at Oregon Street.
Previously announced work remains on schedule to begin along North Stanton Street on Tuesday, January 3, 2017. Work will begin laying rail between Baltimore Drive and Crosby Avenue at that time.
Within the work zone, Stanton Street will be reduced to a single northbound lane. Robinson Avenue, University Avenue, Blanchard Avenue, Blacker Avenue and Hague Road will be closed to east-west traffic at Stanton Street. Baltimore Drive will close to east-west traffic at Stanton Street in February 2017.
Cincinnati Avenue, Boston Avenue, Kerbey Avenue, Rim Road and Schuster Avenue will remain open to east-west traffic at Stanton Street.