With Socorro Independent School District’s advanced academic academies in high schools across the district, recent ‘SISD Advanced Academy Nights’ showed students what’s possible for their educational future.
The SISD Advanced Academy Nights, which occur each fall at the district’s high schools, allow students preparing for the transition from middle school to high school the opportunity to learn about the different academies and programs available to them upon entering high school.
The individual academies give students opportunities to get ahead with college credits, take part in engaging internships, and gain real-world training with specialized instruction in various fields of study.
“I think it’s great that the district provided this event because it really does prepare us for the future,” said Daniel Garcia, an eighth-grade student at Paso Del Norte School. “I think this can help set us up in the right mindset by giving us the tools we need in college and in a career.”
Last fall, incoming SISD freshmen and their parents received a preview to the advanced academic academies as they were preparing to select their endorsement for the course of study they will pursue in high school.
“Having these different programs available at all the high schools makes them accessible to all students rather than a select few. I think that puts our district and our students a step ahead,” said Marvin Hanley, the audio and video production teacher at Montwood High School.
Students at elementary grade levels and their parents can start looking into SISD’s advanced academic academies now so that they can be ready to apply in their eighth-grade year.
Interested students can talk to their teachers or school counselors or visit the advanced academics web page on the district website.
The SISD academies are:
- Health Professions Academy (HPA) at Socorro High School,
- Synergi4 TSTEM Academy at Montwood High School,
- Libertas Academy for Law, Government and Public Administration at Americas High School,
- Aztec Architecture Academy (AAA) at El Dorado High School,
- International Baccalaureate (IB) at El Dorado High School,
- School for Advanced Technical Applications TSTEM (SATA) at Eastlake High School,
- Sparta Business Academy (SBA) at Pebble Hills High School,
- Fire Science Academy at Socorro High School.