The Socorro Independent School District is a finalist for the second year in a row for the H-E-B Excellence in Education District Award.
The district is once again the only school district from West Texas to be named a finalist in the awards program that was opened last year to school districts across Texas outside of H-E-B markets.
“I applaud Team SISD for our continued high quality educational performance. I attribute everyone’s commitment to academic excellence in our school district for this prestigious recognition,” said SISD Superintendent Dr. José Espinoza. “We have an incredible team of students, teachers, staff and community, who together have worked tirelessly to improve academic achievement. Our success in the classroom is reflected in this recognition and it is a true honor to be acknowledged by others across the state for our outstanding teaching and learning.”
The 16th annual 2017 H-E-B Excellence in Education awards program spotlights best practices and celebrates the passion and creativity of Texas public school educators. It is one of the largest monetary awards programs for educators in the state.
As a finalist, SISD will receive $5,000 that it will invest again in Operation Future Ready and WIN Academy initiatives. A panel of H-E-B Excellence in Education judges will visit SISD on Feb. 20. The site visit will include a tour of two SISD campuses, an informal meeting with the superintendent, and lunch with representatives from the school district.
After visiting the five finalist districts, H-E-B will announce the winner in May. The large school district winner will receive $100,000.
he 2017 school district and early childhood finalists, as well as recognized school boards, are as follows:
LARGE SCHOOL DISTRICTS
- Allen ISD —Allen, Texas
- Brownsville ISD — Brownsville, Texas
- Grand Prairie ISD — Grand Prairie, Texas
- Northwest ISD — Fort Worth, Texas
- Socorro ISD — El Paso, Texas
SMALL SCHOOL DISTRICTS
- Alamo Heights ISD — San Antonio, Texas
- Hutto ISD — Hutto, Texas
- Lake Travis ISD – Austin, Texas
EARLY CHILDHOOD EDUCATION FACILITIES
- Vogel Alcove— Dallas, Texas
- Dalton Early Childhood Center – Uvalde, Texas
- Victoria ISD – Victoria, Texas
- John H. Cherry – Bay City, Texas
- Pre-K 4 San Antonio Education Center – San Antonio, Texas
PUBLIC SCHOOL BOARDS
- Harlingen ISD – Harlingen, Texas
- Dripping Springs ISD — Dripping Springs, Texas
- Fort Bend ISD — Sugar Land, Texas
- Hurst-Euless-Bedford ISD – Bedford, Texas
- Schertz-Cibolo-Universal City – Schertz, Texas