The Socorro Independent School District proudly will offer free half-day universal pre-kindergarten for all students in Team SISD regardless if they do not meet state requirements for free pre-k.
The students must be four years old by Sept. 1 and live within SISD boundaries.
In addition, Team SISD will continue to offer full-day pre-k based on a first-come, first-served basis. The full-day program is free for those who qualify based on economic, language, homeless or military (active) requirements as established by the state.
Those who do not qualify for free pre-k, but would like to enroll in full-day are now entitled to a free half-day and tuition-based for the other half. The tuition for half-day is $181.68 per month for a 10-month school year.
Another opportunity for free full-day early childhood education is in conjunction with the ESC 19 Head Start program. Students also must qualify for Head Start based on federal income guidelines. Children in foster care, homeless children, and children from families receiving public assistance (TANF or SSI) are eligible for Head Start regardless of income.
The half-day universal pre-k in SISD combined with the half-day Head Start program would allow students (who qualify for Head Start) to earn their full-day early childhood education for free.
Parents may register their pre-kindergarten students in Team SISD at their designated pre-k hub school or pre-k campus (listed below). In order to register for pre-kindergarten, students must be four years old by Sept. 1. Please make sure to bring your child and the following to the registration site:
- Birth certificate
- Immunization record
- Current utility bill (gas, water or electric)
- Identification for the parent/guardian registering the child (driver’s license, ID card, passport, military ID)
- Social Security Card
SISD pre-k hub schools for next school year will be O’Shea Keleher Elementary, Myrtle Cooper Elementary, Horizon Heights Elementary, Mission Ridge Elementary, Hurshel Antwine Elementary and Chester Jordan Elementary.
The designated pre-k hubs will serve as the home campus for pre-k students for the 2016-2017 school year:
- O’Shea Keleher will serve pre-k students from O’Shea Keleher, Bill Sybert, Jane Hambric, Benito Martinez, Helen Ball and Elfida P. Chavez.
- Myrtle Cooper will serve pre- k students from Myrtle Cooper, John Drugan, Vista Del Sol, Sierra Vista and Loma Verde.
- Horizon Heights will serve pre-k students from Horizon Heights and Dr. Sue Shook.
- Mission Ridge will serve pre-k students from Mission Ridge and Desert Wind.
- Hurshel Antwine will serve pre-k students from Hurshel Antwine, Paso Del Norte, Sgt. Roberto Ituarte and Purple Heart.
- Chester Jordan will serve pre-k students from Chester Jordan, Lujan-Chavez and James P. Butler.
The following campuses offer pre-k on site:
- Campestre Elementary
- Escontrias Early Childhood Center
- Ernesto Serna School
- H.D. Hilley Elementary School
- Hueco Elementary School
- Robert R. Rojas Elementary School
Parents are asked to contact their neighborhood school for any questions regarding pre-kindergarten registration.