The Socorro Independent School District (SISD) officials announced Tuesday that their Child Nutrition Services Department will offer free meals to all children ages 18 and under from June 7 through June 25.
The Summer Food Program provides nutritious meals at no cost to all children at participating school sites. There are no fees or proof of income required.
Meals will be provided via the drive-through/walk-up service that is currently being used at the schools from 8 to 11 a.m. Monday through Friday. Breakfast and lunch will be provided. On Friday, Saturday meals will be distributed, as well.
On Friday, June 25, meals will be distributed for Saturday, June 26 to Saturday, July 3.
Child Nutrition Services employees will place the meals in trunks or back seats of vehicles in order to maintain social distancing measures. Please note the following guidelines/notes:
- Parents are asked to remain in vehicle and open the trunk or back of vehicle.
- If in a truck or SUV, where back cannot be opened, CNS employees will provide the meal
on a tray to lessen unnecessary contact or the meal can be placed in the back seat if unoccupied.
- If possible, parents are asked to please place a box or bin in their trunk, which will help hold the meal bags upright and keep the integrity of the meal.
According to state/federal guidelines, parents can pick up the free meals without having to bring their children to the pickup sites. If parents have their children WITH them when they pick up meals, no documentation is required.
Due to the school year ending, if parents come to pick up meals WITHOUT their children, they need to present one of the following for all children 18 and under:
- Official letter/email/electronic school application from school listing children enrolled
- Individual student report cards
- Attendance record from parent portal of the school website, printed or electronic, that includes the children names
- Birth certificate for children not in school
- Student ID cards
For the summer menu, please visit the Child Nutrition Services webpage on the district website or call 937-0450.
SISD schools participating in the summer meal program:
|Pebble Hills High School
Capt. Walter E. Clarke Middle School
SPC. Rafael Hernando III Middle School
Robert R. Rojas Elementary School
O’Shea Keleher Elementary School
Horizon Heights Elementary School
Hueco Elementary School
Jane A. Hambric School
Desert Wind School
Mission Ridge Elementary School
Purple Heart Elementary School