Tuesday morning, officials with the Socorro Independent School District announced the extension of the summer meal service.
“In order to ensure children in the community continue to have access to healthy meals, the service will run from August 3 through 14 at campuses across the district,” officials shared via a news release.
Free breakfast and lunch will be provided to all children 18 years and younger.
Meals will be provided via the same drive-through/walk-up procedures that were used earlier this summer from 8 to 10 a.m. Monday through Friday. Saturday meals will be provided on Fridays.
Combo schools will provide meals on one side only at:
- Lujan-Chavez Elementary School
- Sgt. Roberto Ituarte Elementary School
- Capt. Walter E. Clarke Middle School
- Montwood Middle School
- SSG. Manuel R. Puentes Middle School.
- Escontrias Elementary for Escontrias Early Childhood Center
Child Nutrition Services employees will place the meals in trunks or back seats of vehicles in order to maintain social distancing measures. Please note the following guidelines/notes:
- Parents are asked to remain in vehicle and open the trunk or back of vehicle.
- If in a truck or SUV, where back cannot be opened, CNS employees will provide the meal on a tray to lessen unnecessary contact or the meal can be placed in the back seat if unoccupied.
- If possible, parents are asked to please place a box or bin in their trunk, which will help hold the meal bags upright and keep the integrity of the meal.
According to state/federal guidelines, parents can pick up the free meals without having to bring their children to the pickup sites.
If parents have their children with them when they pick up meals, no documentation is required. If parents come to pick up meals without their children, they need to present one of the following for all children 18 and under:
- Official letter/email/electronic school application from school listing children enrolled
- Individual student report cards
- Attendance record from parent portal of the school website, printed or electronic, that includes the children names
- Birth certificate for children not in school
- Student ID cards
The summer meals will be available for pick up at all SISD schools with the exception of:
- Mission Early College High School
- Montwood High School
- Options High School