Photo Courtesy El Paso County Historical Society
Commuters coming into and leaving from Downtown El Paso are encouraged to consider alternate routes beginning next week as crews from Paso del Norte Trackworks begin laying key portions of rail for the El Paso Streetcar Project.
Stanton Street and Oregon Street will close to all traffic between Yandell Drive and Wyoming Avenue in Downtown El Paso on Monday, May 1, 2017, according to the Camino Real Regional Mobility Authority.
Simultaneous closures are necessary to accommodate the placement of rail and specially formulated concrete on overpasses which will carry the streetcar line across Interstate 10.
Lane restrictions will also be in place on Yandell Drive and Wyoming Avenue at that time. This work is scheduled to take approximately eight weeks to complete.
Morning Detour Routes into Downtown El Paso
To avoid this work zone and other streetcar work zones, motorists should consider the following alternate routes into Downtown El Paso:
From West El Paso and Upper Valley
- I-10 Exit 16/Executive Center Boulevard to Paisano Drive into Downtown.
- I-10 Exit 18B/Franklin Avenue to Durango Street
- I-10 Exit 19/Downtown, turn right on Santa Fe Street to
From East El Paso, Central El Paso and Mission Valley
- I-10 Exit 20/Cotton Street south to Texas Avenue
- I-10 Exit 19B/Downtown, turn left on Kansas Street, Mesa Street or Santa Fe Street
- Loop 375 César Chávez Border Highway to Campbell Street
Evening Detour Routes out of Downtown El Paso
To avoid this work zone and other streetcar work zones, motorists should consider the following alternate routes out of Downtown El Paso:
To West El Paso and Upper Valley
- Santa Fe Street north to Yandell Drive to I-10 West
- Campbell Street north to Missouri Avenue to Santa Fe Street to I-10 West
- Paisano Drive east to Executive Center Boulevard to I-10 West
To East El Paso, Central El Paso and Mission Valley
- Campbell Street to I-10 East
- Texas Avenue to Cotton Street to I-10 East
- Kansas Street south of Loop 375 César Chávez Border Highway
While North Stanton Street remains reduced to a single northbound lane between Yandell Drive and Cincinnati Avenue, beginning on Monday, May 1, 2017, northbound traffic will be moved from the east side of the street to the west side of the street between Montana Avenue and Rim Road. Northbound traffic between Rim Road and Cincinnati Avenue was moved to the west side of the street on April 24.
These changes in traffic pattern is necessary to give crews from Paso del Norte Trackworks room to safely construct boarding platforms and complete paving along Stanton Street.
All cross-streets between Schuster Avenue and Cincinnati Avenue have re-opened at Stanton Street. Meanwhile, Hague Road, Crosby Avenue and Rio Grande Avenue remain closed to thru traffic immediately west of Stanton. Intermittent closures of cross-streets will continue as rolling paving operations continue along some parts of Stanton Street.
Stanton Street is scheduled to re-open to north-south traffic between Crosby Avenue and Cincinnati Avenue by the end of May and between Yandell Drive and Crosby Avenue by the end of June.