Motorists, pedestrians, and cyclists will encounter new traffic patterns in Downtown El Paso as crews from Paso del Norte Trackworks prepare to begin laying rail on Kansas Street, according to the Camino Real Regional Mobility Authority.
Beginning on Monday, October 10, 2016, Kansas Street will be reduced to a single lane between Franklin Avenue and Overland Avenue thru January. Main, Mills, and San Antonio Avenue will be closed to thru traffic between Kansas and Stanton.
Texas Avenue will be reduced to a single lane in each direction at Kansas Street. Following this section of work, crews plan to continue moving south on Kansas Street between Overland Avenue and Paisano Drive.
Commuters travelling west on Interstate 10 from the Eastside, Mission Valley, Central, and Northeast El Paso who typically use Exit 19B/Downtown to Kansas Street, are encouraged to consider the following alternate routes:
- I-10 to Exit 20/Cotton Street and access Downtown via Texas Avenue or Myrtle Avenue.
- Loop 375/César Chávez Border Highway to Campbell Street to access Downtown.
Commuters travelling east on I-10 from the Westside, Upper Valley and Northwest El Paso are encouraged to consider the following alternate routes:
- I-10 to Exit 18B/Porfirio Diaz Street to Franklin Avenue to Durango to Paisano to access Downtown.
- Mesa Street to Texas Avenue.
As crews continue work to relocation underground utilities, Santa Fe Street will be closed between 3rd Avenue and 4th Avenue from 8pm to 4am on Thursday, October 13, and Friday, October 14, 2016.
The following street closures and lane restrictions will remain in place during the week of October 10, 2016, as work continues throughout the 4.8 mile route:
- Kansas Street between Paisano Drive and Father Rahm Avenue
- Father Rahm Avenue between Kansas Street and Santa Fe Street
- Mesa Street between 4th Avenue and 6th Avenue
- Oregon Street between 4th Avenue and 6th Avenue
- Santa Fe Street between Paisano Drive and San Antonio Avenue
- Overland Avenue at Santa Fe Street
- Oregon Street between Nevada Avenue and Schuster Avenue
- Cliff Drive immediately west of Oregon Street
- River Avenue immediately west of Oregon Street
- California Avenue immediately west of Oregon Street
- Crosby Avenue between Stanton Street and Mesa Street
- Stanton Street between Main Drive and Missouri Avenue
- Stanton Street between 4th Avenue and 6th Avenue
- El Paso Street between 4th Avenue and 6th Avenue
- Santa Fe Street between Montestruc Court and Paisano Drive