As work associated with the El Paso Streetcar Project accelerates in Downtown El Paso, commuters will encounter new lane restrictions on Kansas Street and Wyoming Avenue and a new complete closure of Oregon Street this week.
Beginning on Monday, August 8, 2016, one lane of Wyoming Avenue will be closed between Santa Fe Street and Kansas Street for underground utility work. This lane restriction will impact motorists who use Exit 19/Downtown from eastbound Interstate 10. Motorists are encouraged to consider alternate routes into Downtown including Exit 18B/Porfirio Diaz Street.
Then on Tuesday, August 9, 2016, Kansas Street will be reduced to two lanes between Franklin Avenue and San Antonio Avenue. This closure is necessary as crews work on foundations for the Overhead Contact System which will power the streetcars. Motorists who use Exit 19B/Downtown from westbound I-10 to access El Paso City Hall, the El Paso County Courthouse, and other downtown offices should consider alternate routes such as Exit 20/Cotton Street or César Chávez Border Highway (Loop 375) into Downtown.
Finally on Wednesday, August 10, 2016, Oregon Street will be closed to all traffic between Missouri Avenue and Wyoming Avenue for utility work. Marked detours will be in place to assist motorists as they avoid this closure. Alternate routes include Mesa Street and Campbell Street. Lane restrictions which are currently in place within this block are not related to the El Paso Streetcar Project.
Stanton Street remains closed to all traffic between Missouri Avenue and Wyoming Avenue for utility work. As part of this closure, lane restrictions will remain in place along Missouri Avenue at Stanton Street for utility work.
Motorists who use Exit 19B/Downtown from westbound I-10 are encouraged to consider alternate routes such as Exit 20/Cotton Street or César Chávez Border Highway (Loop 375) into Downtown.
As work continues through the 4.8 mile route, the following traffic impacts will remain in place during the week of August 8:
- Santa Fe Street between Third Avenue and Father Rahm Avenue (weeknights 6 p.m. to 4 a.m.)
- Kansas Street between Paisano Drive and Father Rahm Avenue (including intersections)
- Father Rahm Avenue between Kansas Street and Santa Fe Street (excluding intersections)
- Crosby Avenue between Oregon Street and Stanton Street (excluding intersections)
- Oregon Street between Schuster Avenue and Glory Road (open to northbound traffic only)
- Hauge Road west of Oregon Street
- Rim Road west of Oregon Street
- Santa Fe Street between Franklin Avenue and Loop 375
- Oregon Street between Yandell Drive and Schuster Avenue
- Franklin Avenue at Oregon Street
- Oregon Street at Father Rahm Avenue
- Campbell Street at First Avenue
Much of the work associated with the El Paso Streetcar Project cannot be completed during or immediately following heavy rain. As monsoon moisture moves into the Desert Southwest, occasional unanticipated changes in scheduled construction activities may take place.
- Click here to sign-up for regular construction updates delivered to your email inbox.
- Like the El Paso Streetcar on Facebook and Instagram.
- Call the bilingual project information line: (844) 252-RAIL.