As crews continue work installing new storm drain and sewer systems in South El Paso as part of the El Paso Streetcar project, motorists, pedestrians, and cyclists should expect to encounter the following traffic impacts in the coming days:
- Stanton Street will be closed to thru traffic between 6th Avenue and 4th Avenue from 9pm to 6am on Friday, September 9, and Saturday, September 10, 2016.
- Overnight weekday closures continue on Santa Fe Street between 3rd Avenue and Father Rahm Avenue between 6pm and 4am. These closures are also scheduled to be in place on Saturday, September 10, and Sunday, September 11, 2016.
- El Paso Street will be closed to thru traffic between 6th Avenue and 4th Avenue beginning at 4 a.m. on Tuesday, September 13, and reopening at 5 p.m. on Wednesday, September 14, 2016.
- Father Rahm Avenue remains closed to traffic between Kansas Street and Santa Fe Street while Kansas Street remains closed to traffic between Paisano Drive and Father Rahm Avenue.
Overland Avenue and San Antonio Avenue will be closed to thru traffic at Santa Fe Street beginning on Friday, September 9thru Monday, September 12, 2016. Thru traffic will continue to flow on Santa Fe Street which is reduced to one lane in each direction between Franklin Avenue and Montestruc Court. These closures are necessary to accommodate the installation of track.
During the week of September 12, 2016, Stanton Street will occasionally be reduced to a single lane at Crosby Avenue. Flaggers will be present to direct traffic at these times. At other times, lane restrictions will remain in place on Stanton Street at Crosby Avenue as crews continue working on a power substation which will help power the streetcar system.
As work continues along the 4.8 mile route, the following street closures and lane restrictions will remain in place during the week of September 12:
- Oregon Street between Nevada Avenue and Schuster Avenue (open to northbound traffic only)
- Crosby Avenue, Cliff Drive, River Avenue, and California Avenue immediately west of Oregon Street
- Crosby Avenue between Oregon Street and Stanton Street (excluding intersections)
- Main Drive immediately east of Santa Fe Street
- Oregon Street between Missouri Avenue and Wyoming Avenue
- Schuster Avenue at Oregon Street
- Stanton Street at Father Rahm Avenue
- El Paso Street at Father Rahm Avenue
- Mesa Street at Father Rahm Avenue
- Oregon Street between Nevada Avenue and Yandell Drive
Much of the work associated with the El Paso Streetcar Project cannot be completed during or immediately following heavy rain. As a result, occasional unanticipated changes in scheduled construction activities may be required.