The City of El Paso ranked #7 in the Best Places to Live in 2018 in the Top 10 Best Cities by Areavibes.com.
“El Paso continues to be recognized for the great City we are,” said Mayor Dee Margo. “In the past year alone, the City was awarded the Governor’s Achievement Award, was selected as an All-America City, was named the best managed city, was second highest in job and wage growth, and has been named the 5th Best Small City in America.”
“City staff has worked hard to continue helping El Paso become the best place to live,” said City Manager Tommy Gonzalez. “El Paso residents and businesses deserve the best, and we are striving to provide them with an improved quality of life and continued economic growth.”
According to the Areavibes website, their ranking process begins with collecting more than 100 cities with populations over 200,000. Then they apply their Livability Score – using a number of factors to establish each city’s score, including the city’s cost of living, employment figures and crime rates.
The Best Places to Live were selected on:
- Amenities: Higher scores for more nearby amenities like: grocery stores, restaurants, coffee shops, schools, parks, libraries, etc.
- Cost of Living: Higher scores for lower cost of goods and services, groceries, health care, housing, transportation and utilities.
- Crime: Higher scores for low violent crime and property crime. Violent crimes are more heavily weighted.
- Education: Higher scores for high test scores and low student to teacher ratio.
- Employment: Higher scores for high median household income and low unemployment rates.
- Housing: Higher scores for low housing price to median household ratio and high appreciation rates.
- Weather: Higher scores for average temperatures between 70°-75° and low precipitation.
The list for 2018 saw a few changes over last year’s rankings, including the addition of two new cities.
For more information, visit areavibes.com.