As the funding cycle for a City of El Paso Museums and Cultural Affairs Department’s (MCAD) program that invests in the arts, to foster cultural activity and build a vibrant creative community opens, local artists need to prepare.
“Our cultural funding program represents an active investment on the part of the City recognizing the impact that artists and arts programming make not only on El Paso’s quality of life, but economically as well,” said Tracey Jerome, Director of Museums and Cultural Affairs.
Each year, MCAD through its Cultural Funding Program awards approximately a quarter of its Cultural Affairs Division budget to support arts and cultural activity geared towards El Pasoans and visitors. These programs provide operational support, community art programs and directly fund local artists as well as fostering and developing festivals and in downtown El Paso through the KickstART Downtown program.
Last year, supported organizations, artists and projects served approximately 650,000 El Pasoans and visitors in programming across the city. Since overhauling the process to foster greater openness in 2007, the program has awarded over $3.5 million to the local artistic community and been cited as a model of transparency by the Texas Commission on the Arts.
All prospective applicants for the FY2019 Cultural Funding Cycle must attend a mandatory orientation before they can submit an application. A full schedule of workshops and updated cultural funding guidelines are available online under the Arts Funding tab. Applications will be accepted through May 11, via the city’s online application system.
Orientation Sessions (Attendance is Mandatory for All Applicants):
- Operational Support Program: March 22 at 12 p.m. at MCAD offices, 400 W. San Antonio, Ste. A in the Board Room.
- Project Support Program: March 15 at 10:30 a.m. and 5 p.m. at the El Paso Museum of History, 510 N. Santa Fe, in the Seminar Room.
- Artist Incubator Program: March 22 at 6:30 p.m. at the Artspace Gallery, 601 N. Oregon, and April 5 at 10:30 a.m. at the El Paso Museum of History, 510 N. Santa Fe, in the Seminar Room
- Community Arts Program: March 15 at 9 a.m. and 6:15 p.m. at the El Paso Museum of History, 510 N. Santa Fe, in the Seminar Room.
- KickstART: March 16 at 12 p.m. and 5 p.m. at MCAD offices, 400 W. San Antonio, Ste. A in the Board Room.
Anyone unable to attend one of these sessions may make an appointment for a one-on-one session. Walk-in appointments are not available. The last day to schedule a one-on-one session is April 27.
- April 2, 2018: Applications available online at http://elpasoarts.cgweb.org
- May 11, 2018: Applications due by 11:59 p.m.