The City of El Paso is assisting with emergency relief efforts from the unprecedented flooding in South Texas.
“Our thoughts remain with our fellow Texans struggling to cope with this catastrophic event,” Mayor Dee Margo said. “El Paso is assisting and is ready to do more during this state disaster. Our goal is to help save lives and provide comfort and support to victims of these devastating floods.”
In response to the disaster area El Paso has:
- Activated its Emergency Operations Center as of yesterday (August 27, 2017) to prepare for the potential to receive 1,500 evacuees from Houston;
- Sent six El Paso Fire Department divers and a rescue boat to Houston;
- Deployed 33 officers, two sergeants, and 11 vehicles to Houston;
- Sent the BorderRAC ambulance strike team and mobile hospital to South Texas; and
- El Paso Sheriff is sending deputies for additional security assistance
“The City of El Paso and our partners are coordinating to provide as much emergency relief as we can during these unprecedented floods,” City Manager Tommy Gonzalez said. “We have the utmost confidence that our First Responders and partners are unified to help our friends and families across Southeastern Texas.”
The Texas Division of Emergency Management asked El Paso’s OEM to assist with housing evacuees. OEM is coordinating with all appropriate agencies to be ready to house victims from the catastrophic floods. Should evacuees arrive, they will be relocated to appropriate shelter(s). The arrival of evacuees has not yet been confirmed.
The American Red Cross and Salvation Army are working with OEM to set up the shelter(s). OEM is coordinating with the El Paso Independent School District to provide education services, if necessary.
The City’s Health Department 2-1-1 call takers are assisting through the 2-1-1 Texas Information and Referral Network (TIRN), which receives calls from throughout the state.
Flights to and from Houston have been cancelled for today. Travelers should contact their airline directly for flight information. Flight information for the El Paso International Airport is available at FlyElPaso.com.