The Sun Bowl Association is now accepting applications for the 2020-21 Sun Court.
“Each year the quality of contestants that apply to be a part of the Sun Bowl Sun Court rises,” Executive Director Bernie Olivas said. “We are proud to have such amazing, talented and hard-working ambassadors to help showcase all our events and the City of El Paso. We are excited to start the process of looking for this year’s Sun Court and hope to receive many applicants.”
The El Paso area will be represented by the city’s young women to serve as community ambassadors during all Sun Bowl events including the Sun Bowl Parade on Thanksgiving morning and the Tony the Tiger football game on December 31, 2020.
The Sun Court dates back to 1935 when organizers planned the event as a companion to the first Sun Bowl game.
“This is a great time for young women to promote their city and to volunteer as community ambassadors,” Sun Bowl Association officials added.
Contestants are selected based on poise, appearance, personality, communication and interpersonal skills, and the ability to demonstrate knowledge of El Paso.
Participants must be full-time students at a college or university and in good academic standing.
Applications are available online at sunbowl.org and the deadline to apply is Wednesday, June 3, 2020 by 3 p.m. (MT). All interviews will be held on Saturday, July 11 beginning at 9 a.m.
Eligibility and Rules:
All Sun Princess Applicants must fit criteria in order to be eligible.
- A female between the ages of 18-22 (as of Sept. 1) and have completed one year of college
- Have not been married and have not had any children
- Must be enrolled as a full-time student taking a minimum of 12 academic hours or full time in a graduate program
- A cumulative grade point average of at least a 2.5 on a 4.0 scale (Transcript must be included with application)
- Sun Princesses may not hold any other title during the time they are members of the Sun Court (i.e. Miss El Paso, Miss Texas, etc…)
- Responsible for their own transportation costs to attend mandatory events
Application/Submission Process: Official application, an official transcript, a professional resume, a color head shot no larger than 5×7, and an essay (500 words or less) telling us about yourself; include school activities and awards, community involvement, employment and why you want to be a Sun Princess.
For questions, please contact the Sun Bowl Association Office at (915) 533-4416 or email firstname.lastname@example.org