Final utility relocation for the El Paso Streetcar Project along Glory Road will require traffic in the area of the University of Texas at El Paso’s Don Haskins Center to detour beginning later this week.
Beginning on Friday, March 24, 2017, Glory Road will be closed to thru traffic between Mesa Street and Oregon Street. Motorists who use Glory Road to access UTEP from Mesa Streets should use Cincinnati Avenue to Oregon Street as an alternate route. Traffic will be able to access the Glory Road Transfer Center and Parking Garage through the intersection of Glory Road and Oregon Street during this closure.
Crews from Paso del Norte Trackworks continue their work on concrete crosswalks on Santa Fe Street at Main Drive adjacent to the Judson F. Williams Convention Center.
To accommodate this work, northbound traffic remains detoured off of Santa Fe Street onto Main Drive, El Paso Street and Franklin Avenue. Southbound traffic remains able to travel south on Santa Fe Street through lane restrictions in the area.
High-impact closures on Santa Fe Street near Southwest University Park will be completed by the El Paso Chihuahuas’ home opener on April 6.
Santa Fe Street is once again open to thru traffic between Paisano Drive and 4th Avenue. Santa Fe Street will remain closed between 4th Avenue and Father Rahm Avenue through May.
The following traffic impacts will remain in place at other locations throughout the 4.8 mile route during the week of March 20, 2017:
- Stanton Street between Yandell Drive and Baltimore Drive (open to northbound traffic only)
- Baltimore Drive, Robinson Avenue, Blanchard Avenue, University Avenue, Blacker Avenue, Hague Road, Crosby Avenue, Cliff Drive and Rio Grande Avenue between Stanton Street and Mesa Street
- Santa Fe Street between Father Rahm Avenue and 4th Street
- Stanton Street between Main Drive and Franklin Avenue
- Mesa Street at Franklin Avenue
- Franklin Avenue between Santa Fe Street and Kansas Street
- Kansas Street between Franklin Avenue and Father Rahm Avenue
- Oregon Street between Yandell Drive and Nevada Avenue
- Father Rahm Avenue Drive between Kansas Street and Santa Fe Street
Six Sun Metro routes in the downtown area that had been impacted by the Streetcar construction zone are returning to their regular route service effective immediately
- Route 205 (Brio) will resume its original boarding location on Santa Fe Street near the downtown transfer center on Monday, March 20, 2017.
- Routes 10, 11, 14, 15, 70, and 75 will no longer be detouring on Mesa Street and will return to their original routes on Oregon Street providing service from the Downtown Transfer Center to the Glory Road Transfer Center.
Supervisors and notifications are on site to inform passengers of the change as Sun Metro passengers may have grown accustomed to the detours on Mesa Street. For more information about Sun Metro, visit sunmetro.net or call (915) 212-3333.