Members of the 1966 Texas Western College men’s basketball team are headed to Houston this weekend, where they will be part of Final Four activities and be recognized during halftime of the second semifinal game between the North Carolina Tar Heels and the Syracuse Orange.
Friday, April 1
- Team members will arrive in Houston and will have the opportunity to watch the Final Four teams’ practices. There will also be a Q & A session at NRG Stadium Friday afternoon with Louis Baudoin, David Lattin and Nevil Shed.
- 1966 players will also have the opportunity to visit with members of the UTEP Alumni Association – Houston Chapter.
Saturday, April 2
- A handful of designated players will participate in NCAA Powerade Youth Clinics in the morning at Strake Jesuit College Prep School.
- That afternoon David Lattin will join Greg Gumbel and crew on the Turner Network pregame show at 1:30 p.m. (MT) to discuss the 1966 championship and his grandson’s current quest for the title. Khadeem Lattin plays for the Oklahoma Sooners.
- Recognition on the NCAA national platform is scheduled for Saturday during the second game of the semifinals. They will be introduced during halftime. The game airs on TBS at 6:49 p.m. (MT).
Sunday, April 3
- Players will be honored at the NCAA’s Celebration of Champions at the Buffalo Soldier National Museum.
Monday, April 4
- The 1966 team, which was inducted into the Naismith Memorial Basketball Hall of Fame in 2007, has been invited to the announcement of the 2016 Hall of Fame class.
- A 30-minute autograph session is scheduled for players during the NCAA Fan Fest at the George Brown Convention Center.
- Players will attend a panel event, sponsored by Prime Sports, featuring Nevil Shed and David Lattin at NRG Stadium Monday before attending the NCAA Championship Game.
The historic basketball group was last together in February on the UTEP campus, when they were recognized for the 50th anniversary of their historic win over Kentucky.