FT. WORTH – The UTEP tennis team will won every match contested in both singles and doubles play to polish off Texas Wesleyan, 7-0, on the road Friday afternoon.
The match was the first of three straight this weekend, with a pair of Conference USA opponents remaining on this trip. The Miners (2-4) will face LA Tech (6-4) in a neutral-site match (Denton, Texas) at 11 a.m. MT Saturday and lock up at North Texas (5-2) at 11 a.m. MT Sunday.
But on Friday, UTEP’s full focus was on Texas Wesleyan, which paid dividends in the form of a 7-0 victory.
“We played solid today,” UTEP head coach Ivan Fernandez said. “This was a good match for us before two C-USA opponents. It is always difficult for us to come down more than 3,000 feet in altitude, but we adjusted well and got it done. We still need to play better tomorrow (and Sunday) in order to be competitive vs. LA Tech and North Texas.”
UTEP quickly seized the doubles point. Eve Daniels and Lina Sáchica blasted Mae Covacevich and Cecilia Salazar, 6-0, at No. 3 doubles. Vanessa Valdez and Erandi Martinez were also practically flawless in a 6-1 dispatching of Caitlin Souvannavong and Hannah Rey at No. 2 to lock up the point.
Kathleen Percegona and Maria Aveiga had to work a bit harder but still took down Aurora Novati and Kara Onza Antonio, 7-5, at the No. 1 position.
Sáchica got UTEP going in singles by drilling Souvannavong, 6-0, 6-1, at No. 2 singles for her fourth dual win of the season. Martinez bested Onza Antonio, 6-3, 6-0, at No. 3 singles to match Sáchica for most dual single wins on the campaign.
Daniels blasted Covacevich, 6-0, 6-0, at No. 5 singles. Kathleen Percegona cruised by Rey, 6-2, 6-0, at No. 4 singles. Thássane Abrahim secured her first dual win of the spring after a convincing 6-1, 6-1, triumph against Salazar at No. 6 singles.
Valdez capped the perfect day with a 6-2, 7-6, vanquishing of Novati at the top spot.
UTEP will vie for its second straight win when it takes on LA Tech in its C-USA opener at 11 a.m. MT Saturday.
UTEP at Texas Wesleyan University | Feb 14, 2020 at Ft. Worth, Texas
UTEP 7 – Texas Wesleyan University 0
- Vanessa Valdez (UTEP) def. Aurora Novati (TWS) 6-2, 7-6
- Lina Sáchica (UTEP) def. Caitlin Souvannavong (TWS) 6-0, 6-1
- Erandi Martinez (UTEP) def. Kara Onza Antonio (TWS) 6-3, 6-0
- Kathleen Percegona (UTEP) def. Hannah Rey (TWS) 6-2, 6-0
- Eve Daniels (UTEP) def. Mae Covacevich (TWS) 6-0, 6-0
- Thássane Abrahim (UTEP) def. Cecilia Salazar (TWS) 6-1, 6-1
- Kathleen Percegona/Maria Aveiga (UTEP) def. Aurora Novati/Kara Onza Antonio (TWS) 7-5
- Vanessa Valdez/Erandi Martinez (UTEP) def. Caitlin Souvannavong/Hannah Rey (TWS) 6-1
- Eve Daniels/Lina Sáchica (UTEP) def. Mae Covacevich/Cecilia Salazar (TWS) 6-0
Texas Wesleyan University 0-2
Order of finish: Doubles (3,2,1); Singles (2,5,3,4,6,1)
For complete coverage of UTEP tennis, be sure to follow the Miners on social media at @UTEPWTennis (Twitter), @UTEP_Tennis (Instagram) and on Facebook or visit the official home of UTEP Athletics.