window.dataLayer = window.dataLayer || []; function gtag(){dataLayer.push(arguments);} gtag('js', new Date()); gtag('config', 'UA-29484371-30');
Thursday , July 19 2018
SPRC TEQUILA & MARG 728X90
Electric_728
KCOS CAR DONATION 728X90
SOLDIERCON WET&WILD 728X90
UtepSeasonTickets728
emergence 728×90 first aid rally 2018
Home | News | Regional News | Texas Delegation Ranks Near Bottom of Environmental Scorecard
Canoeists enjoy an afternoon at McKinney Falls State Park near Austin. The Texas congressional delegation consistently voted against conservation measures designed to protect such waterways. (Texas Parks and Wildlife)

Texas Delegation Ranks Near Bottom of Environmental Scorecard

AUSTIN, Texas – The Texas congressional delegation ranks near the bottom of the new annual scorecard of the League of Conservation Voters.

In fact, U.S. Sens. John Cornyn and Ted Cruz, both R-Texas, scored “zero” for their votes on key environmental issues, and the state’s 36 House members only voted what the League considers “pro-environment” 24 percent of the time.

Elizabeth Doyel, who heads the Texas League of Conservation Voters, said the delegation’s GOP members almost unanimously opposed environmental issues in favor of Big Oil.

“I think that it’s 90 percent ideological, and I think the other 10 percent is that they’re looking at their donors,” she said. “Here in Texas, we do have a lot of funders that are within the energy community.”

Texas has 25 Republicans and 11 Democrats in the House, and 18 of the GOP members were rated at zero percent.  Doyel said the few environmental advocates with near 100-percent rankings from Texas all are Democrats – including Joaquin Castro from San Antonio, Eddie Bernice Johnson from Dallas and Beto O’Rourke from El Paso.

Doyel said the major environmental issues in the 114th session of Congress included water resources, climate change, carbon limits and clean energy – and Texas Republicans almost unanimously voted against them.

She said they even voted against protecting the Texas prairie chicken. “One of the bills that national scored on was prairie chickens and protection, and the Republicans voted against protecting the prairie chicken, which is up in the Panhandle,” she said. “Like, seriously, you’re against protecting the prairie chicken?”

Doyel, who became the Texas League’s director in September, says she believes conservation is a Texas value. She said she plans to spend the next few years meeting with Republican officeholders to try to convince them to improve their conservation voting records.

The scorecard is online at scorecard.lcv.org

Author: Mark Richardson, Public News Service

About Public News Service

To support democracy and promote public dialogue in a rapidly changing media environment, Public News Service (PNS) is a member-supported news service that advocates journalism in the public interest. PNS's network of state-based news services distribute high quality public interest news and information to both mainstream and alternative media on a daily basis. Support comes from non-profit organizations, foundations, individuals and businesses for social responsibility.

Check Also

Texas Lt. Gov. Patrick Says He Will Donate Metal Detectors to Santa Fe ISD After School Shooting

More than a month after a deadly shooting at Santa Fe High School left 10 dead and …

Electric_728
SPRC TEQUILA & MARG 728X90
SOLDIERCON WET&WILD 728X90
UtepSeasonTickets728
KCOS CAR DONATION 728X90
emergence 728×90 first aid rally 2018